Chapter 1

Time passed and Emily sat tall in the dining room. She had already unpacked her bags and settled into a quaint little room. After that, meeting the rest of her family downstairs.

"Emily, eat your dinner," Grace told her.

"Sorry, mother."

"Are you alright?" Ida Rose asked Emily.

"Splendid," she replied, although she most certainly was not.

A lot was on poor Em's mind. Even the young lad she had encountered when she stepped from the carriage ran through her thoughts.

He was lovely! she thought.

Emily soon decided to retreat to bed. "Goodnight, you lot."

"Oh, Emily, must you depart so soon?" asked Ida Rose. "Please, grant us the pleasure of your presence?"

Emily lightly shook her beautiful head. "I feel a bit faint. Perhaps the journey has worn me."

"Is that so? I suppose I'll be just as pleased to see you in the morning. Sleep well, dear."

Emily picked up the sides of her large dress and huddled up the stairs.

Once Emily was gone, "I have very unfortunate news..." Ida started.

After Henry swallowed his fine wine, he said, "Do tell."

"The Roseland Manor is at great risk. With my coming of age, I must choose someone to leave it to. Believe me, I have considered you or your daughters, but I've decided the more intelligent choice would be to leave it to my grandson. He would take great care of it. However, I know your family is in need of money, therefore, I am encouraged to ask would Emily consider giving my grandson her hand?"

Emmett almost choked on his rare steak when he heard. "Betrothment?"

"Yes. Marrying my grandson Charlie would give you all much to inherit once he does."

"No, this is madness!" Emmett slammed his fists against the wooden table. "I will not allow it!"

Henry gestured for his son to calm down. "Son, it is an option we have to consider."

Emmett glanced between his parents and shook his head. "You've both gone mad!"

"Emmett!" Grace shouted with a straight face.

Emmett turned around to leave but stole one last look over his shoulder. "I will not let my little sister marry a complete stranger. I won't allow it." He licked his chapped lips and left upstairs.

*******

When Emily's fight with sleep won, she was quite curious, therefore leading to her leave the room and exploring the old woman's estate.

The halls were exquisite and stretched far, but she was determined to search every corner. She knew her family had not wondered where she could be. She had been asleep for hours now, it had grown late. Emily's eyes were tired, but she knew what she saw, that being the faint glow of a fire. She gasped and hit behind the other side of the wall, her chest rising and falling quickly.

Someone's awake, she thought.

She stilly tiptoed into the living room to find her theory correct. The large, brick fireplace crackled with flames, creating an illuminating shadow across the room. In a wooden chair sat a tall, dark figure, his back facing her.

"You are wandering these halls this time at night?" the figure asked over his shoulder with an unfamiliar voice.

Emily stopped creeping and stood tall. "I do not see the point in rest when not needed."

He chuckled quietly to himself. "Rest is always needed, love."

"Who are you?" Emily rushed to ask, not minding how harsh she spoke.

"This is my home. Therefore, I believe the better question is, who are you?"

Emily gulped and inched closer to the dark man. "My name is Emily. I don't believe we have met before."

"But of course, we have."

"When?"

"Just now," he said plainly and Emily looked down at her bare feet.

"I have not seen you at all today, and you claim this is your property?" Emily's suspicions rose with his hesitance.

He laughed again. "Right, you caught me. This is not my property...yet. It's my grandmother's."

"Ida Rose?"

He simply nodded. "Yes. You know her?"

"Of course. We have known each other since I was a child."

"You still are," he muttered under his breath and Emily brushed away a strand of hair from her face.

The unexpected happened when the man turned around to face Emily. His face was dark, due to the flames, but Emily was able to identify his shiny teeth and bright eyes; eyes that raked her body up and down multiple times.

"My...you are quite beautiful." He stood up and took a long stride toward the petite girl.

Emily had never felt her heart beat as fast as it did now. The man was quite intimidating and she had just met him, but something about him was mysterious. Perhaps the way his black hair slicked in a ponytail behind his handsome head, or maybe the way his deep voice enchanted her. Emily was more than determined to discover who this man really was.

"Thank you, as for yourself." Emily was quite small compared to the man and they stood awkwardly in front of each other for a long while.

"My name's Charlie." He politely took Emily's hand and kissed the back of it as a gesture of respect.

"You had not known we were here?" she asked.

Charlie shook his head. "I'm sure my grandmother regrets to inform me."

"She's just the sweetest old woman!" Emily offered a smile and Charlie greatly took it.

"Indeed, she is."

The flames continued to crackle behind them. "I must retire soon..."

"Of course!" Charlie rushed to exclaim. "I very much hope you sleep well, Emily."

Emily thanked him, and, giving him one last glance, she continued back up the stairs to her bedroom.

The next morning, everyone gathered at the dining table downstairs, along with Charlie. He sat across from young Emily, and Emily, who sat in between her father and brother, blushed. Unfortunately, Emmett noticed.

"Oh, dear. You best not find that man attractive," he whispered to her casually.

"He's exquisite..." she uttered back. Emmett slapped his forehead. "...but I hardly know him."

Suddenly, Charlie stood up holding his wine glass. He clinked it with a small spoon. "May I have your attention, please? Thank you." He paused for a moment and turned his attention to Emily. "Ever since I was a young child, I had thought I'd be alone for the rest of my life. However, my grandmother, Ida Rose, decided I will be the heir of Roseland Manor and the fiancee of Emily Phillips. That is, if Miss Phillips accepts my proposal." He raised his wine glass higher. "Emily Phillips, will you do me the honor to accept my hand in betrothment?"

She gasped.