II.

The kids are in their bed and I am lying on the big sofa in the living room of Smiths' apartment, trying hard not to fall asleep.

I can hear keys ringing and the door opening a few minutes after eleven. I stretch myself to wake myself up, as I still need to get home.

Mary comes in tiptoeing and sits down next to me.

"Thanks for coming by."

"Anytime." I smile tiredly. "How was your evening?" I yawn though I am trying hard not to.

"Great." Mary smiles. "Peta your bed is still empty, you can spend the night here if you want to."

"Ummm..." I yawn again.

"Nah, you have to spend the night here." Mary giggles. "I'll get you more pillows." She leaves me to get my bed ready and I am ever so thankful for the Smiths' guest room which used to be mine when I have been babysitting Finn and Delilah 24/7.

Falling asleep, I reflect on the queer encounters of the day.

I met Alex Turner.

Alex.

I am the first to wake up and I decide to make some breakfast for everybody. Probably thanks to my clumsiness the rest follows me to kitchen after just a few minutes. Mary helps me prepare the meal so at the end I am only glad about her waking up.

"Do all girls down in Hampshire prepare such a splendid breakfast or is it just you, Peta?" Frank asks with his mouth half full.

I notice Mary's grimace and answer. "These pancakes are actually... Mary's recipe." Frank chokes a bit.

"Ummm... But of course." He smiles at his wife and takes another mouthful of the pancakes.

"How was your evening Peta? Kids were alright?"

"Sure, as usually." I smile. "And... You won't believe what happened." Frank raises his eyes from his pancake and Mary hastily finishes her juice.

"What?" She asks with the glass still near her mouth.

"You have a new neighbour."

"Do we?" Frank asks.

"Yup."

"You met?" Mary continues to inquire with no special interest shown whatsoever. I smirk.

"He came round to say hi."

"Friendly." Frank observes and takes a sip of his juice.

"You won't believe this."

"What? Is there any other news?"

"I still haven't finished you know." I giggle. "The neighbour... It's Alex Turner."

Mary's idea to take a sip of her coffee turns out to be as a very unfortunate notion as she chokes on it instantly. Her husband starts laughing and I'm not sure which of us is the source of his amusement.

"Alex Turner?" Mary asks with her voice unnaturally hoarse and starts coughing. Frank stands up to give her a few pats on the back.

I nod.

"What the deuce has brought him over here?" Frank asks nobody in particular.

"Well he is from Sheffield isn't he?"

"Haven't seen him in ages." He remarks not paying attention to my comment.

Now it's me who almost chokes on the coffee. Frank is obviously in a good mood and chuckles on.