Missed Milestones: A Wedding To Remember

May 9th, 2020.

I look out the window at the cold hail falling from the sky and onto the pavement below my condo. Today, I was supposed to get married. After being proposed to on December 24th 2018 my fiancé and I had made the decision to get married on this date. Things didn't go as planned, however, and my world was left crumbling around me.

The pandemic in our world as we know it interfered with a lot of things, but what stands out to me is the day that was supposed to be my dream and the honeymoon week to follow. Devastation erupted inside of me as I felt like everything I had been looking forward to had been ripped from my hands suddenly, something so rare and unpredictable changed everything.

My week in New York City, where I was supposed to have my honeymoon fell through like most other things. I didn't get to show my love the city that holds my heart, I didn't get my carriage ride through Central Park, nor did I see the Broadway show I scheduled months in advance.

Broken. I'm completely and utterly broken.

I see the terrible weather on the day that was supposed to be mine and I find myself smiling, unable to hide the relief that the day didn't look as lovely as I once pictured, but knowing one day I would marry my fiancé and maybe even travel together in the future.

With eyes closed and my heart wide open, I dream about the honeymoon I will get one day. Post-Pandemic, of course. Something different than we initially planned, maybe a beach vacation to escape the cold, Canadian weather.

I imagine laying on the warm sand while the hot sun beams onto my porcelain skin, and although it may cause me to burn - I love it. I crave the clear blue ocean water, with warm waves hitting my thighs. I want my husband's hand in mine as we explore the unknown and take in the beautiful sights around us.

A break from the world and responsibilities to enjoy the riches of a new world, fresh air and tall palm trees. A perfect backdrop for an Instagram selfie, and while my heart will always be home with my kids, I embrace the warm breeze while taking advantage of my sweet surroundings.

Maybe missing my original honeymoon wouldn't be so bad after all, because as my husband says, we can always work towards a vacation to remember.