Chapter 3 (dedicated to D)

"Multctuary Money Management," recited Jac. I shook my head although she couldn't see me through the phone. I have a habit of doing that.

"It's me, Jac," I told her, "but you better just be quiet while I tell you this. We don't want your idiot boss getting in the way of VFD..."

"It's about that?"

"About what? Bea and Bertrand? You know?"

"Word travels fast when you're in the BUSINESS OF BANKING."

I scoffed silently. There's only so much subtlety that you can express when you are crouched underneath an office desk, which she was likely doing at the time of my phone call. I doubted she ever talked to Gustav Sebald, another volunteer with whom Jacquelyn was particularly smitten, with such care in front of Poe. She could be explaining in elaborate detail the structure of our organisation and the imbecile wouldn't even bat an eyelid.

"Okay, sure," I continued. "Anyway — Monty has appointed me-" I tactfully left out the part about me begging like a puppy for the job (I am not a dog person) "-to watch over the Baudelaire children, film them with Voltaire, and send the recordings to someone with access to a monitor, a telegram machine, and a good partner who would eagerly be my backup should the Baudelaires need help." I waited for her answer. It didn't come.

I sighed. 'You, Jac. You and Larry."

"Right. Of course. Well, I should be going. My LOVELY COMPETENT BOSS needs me presently to... um... read this book called The Pony Party that is SURELY CHARMING AND I WOULD GREATLY ENJOY IT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND THAT IS ALL, GOOD DAY." And the line went dead. Thank you indeed, Poe and his Pony Party. I supposed I would have to visit her at the bank to get a proper mission briefing in.

One detail that should not be overlooked. I am fourteen. I graduated VFD school two years ago, outgrew my chaperone (Bea) in the period of time between when Via left to teach at some boarding school, and my fourteenth birthday, which was roughly four months ago now. And considering I had just finished my apprenticeship with Beatrice, this was my first mission.

My first mission, protecting one of my cousin's best friend's children from a bloodthirsty maniac whose name I'd only heard in lavishly embellished sentences from Kit.

How so very characteristic of me, really.

A/N: hey guys, this one's super short but I didn't really fancy a few-days' time skip, so I decided to make Lita's visit to Jacquelyn in the next chapter, hence the length of this one. If anything is poorly explained or there are errors — or you have feedback — I'm always in for constructive criticism so bring it on! Don't forget to vote if you are enjoying TWISI and want to see what comes next.

~ Kya ^^