Chapter 4: The Return Home

The sun was setting as a giant fire dragon, with two wayward individuals on its back, descended from the sky onto the streets of the peaceful town of Pallet.

As he dismounted, Red took a minute to look around at the town he once called home and took a deep breath "After all these years….I'm finally back!" He thought as he watched his new companion dismount as well.

"Hey!" He called out to Leaf, who currently had her head between her legs "You okay over there Ms. Great Thief?"

Leaf narrowed her eyes as she looked up at him "That's….Great….Shadow….Thief and don't you forget it!" She panted as she tried to catch her breath "And yeah! Just never flew that fast before!"

Red laughed as he patted her shoulder "Don't worry you'll get used to it!" He reassured her and pointed towards a large building not far away "Come on! I need to stop by Professor Oaks lab first, he has information crucial to my mission and once we do that, we can relax."

However, just as Red began to walk over to the lab, he was forcefully stopped "Wait Red! I-I don't think it would be a great idea if I went in with you…." Leaf said as she grabbed his shoulder.

Red looked puzzled "Why not?" He asked "Granted…I know Oak can be a bit eccentric at times, but still…."

Leaf looked away and started twiddling her fingers "I mighta…sorta…kinda…stole from here once before…."

"Oh…." Red muttered as he stressfully rubbed his temple "Well….did anyone see you when did?"

"DID ANYONE SEE M-" Leaf stopped mid-sentence and put her hands on her hips "I don't call myself the Great SHADOW Thief because I allow people to see me! I always operate under the cover of darkness!"

"GOOD!" Red stated as he grabbed her wrist "That means nobody saw you and you're coming in with me!"

"Hey! NO! That's not what I meant!" Leaf yelled as Red pulled her into the lab with him.

The lab definitely looked more high tech then Red remembered it. Then again, there had been many technological advancements and discoveries since he was here last. And low and behold, at the end of the hall stood Professor Oak, white lab coat and all.

To Red, Professor Oak was almost like a second father to him and he was ecstatic when he saw him again.

"Professor!" Red called out as he ran towards the old man and shook his hand "It's so good to see you again!"

"Red!" The professor greeted and shook his hand back "I thought my aide said you were walking to Pallet and wouldn't be here for a while."

Red nervously scratched the back of his head "Well…I was…but…there's been a change of plans." He then stepped aside to reveal his new partner "Leaf, this is Professor Samuel Oak, head of pokemon research here in Kanto!"

"Yes…but everyone around here calls me the pokemon professor!" Professor Oak noted as he walked towards Leaf and extended his hand "It's nice to meet you young lady!"

As he walked closer, Leaf's eyes viciously darted from side to side as she did her best to act casual "Umm hi….it's nice to meet you too." She shyly replied and extended her hand as well.