Chapter 2: Savior

Hua Cheng had been around the world, exploring various kingdoms and territories that all trembled in his might, but he never could have prepared himself for the sight that greeted his single dark eye when he regained consciousness.

His upper robe had been opened and the entirety of his bare chest was carefully bandaged with practiced hands. His shoes were removed gently and placed at his side, and the person who had saved him seemed to take great care not to touch unnecessarily.

His weathered body also lay against solid stone in a great underwater cave that was lit with large fluorescent stones and sea lanterns.

Strangely, he didn't feel threatened. Whoever lived in this beautiful place had saved his life.

Hua Cheng's stomach growled painfully, and he wondered how many days he was knocked out for. Was the Paradise ship alright? Had any of his men started searching for him yet?

It was quite impossible that they would ever think to look here in the deepest parts of the ocean. He groaned and ran his hands through his hair, finding that it had been pulled away from his face in a crooked ponytail by whoever was tending to him.

Xie Lian, meanwhile, was trying to muster his courage to speak to the human. He had been watching ever since "Captain" awoke, but he swam around anxiously outside the entrance to his home.

This was the first time he would ever speak face to face with a real human! And this one was just...so handsome! Really, he had no idea that someone could look like this. Back in all of his years in Xianle, Xie Lian had met countless beauties and glamorous men, but "Captain"'s appearance was so stunning that he sometimes had to cover his own eyes when treating his injuries.

Xie Lian's face was fairly thick after all these years, but he still worried about embarrassing himself to the pirate.

Finally gathering his confidence, he grabbed the bag he brought with him and entered, alerting the human with the splash that his tail made.

Xie Lian hoisted himself up with his arms so that he was sitting at the ledge where the water ended and rock began.

Hua Cheng's eye widened and his expression turned to shock, but not fear.

His savior looked like an incredibly beautiful man at the top, long brown hair falling around his face in graceful bangs, and golden eyes that seemed to see right through him. However, on the bottom he seemed to have the golden tail of a large fish.

Mermaids were a legend among sailors. They were sometimes hideous creatures who ate humans alive or seductive temptresses who lured ships to their doom. Somehow...his savior didn't seem like either.

The merman flushed at his stare, but smiled gently, pulling a net forward. Inside was a few clumps of ocean plants he didn't recognize and a couple of fish.

"I'm sorry," The merman spoke, and fuck, Hua Cheng liked his voice. It was slightly raspy, like he hadn't spoken in a long time, but it was pleasant and refreshing, like a cool river.

"I'm not quite sure what humans eat, so I brought some of my favorites. How are you feeling?"

Hua Cheng choked, staring at the beautiful merman's eyes.

"I'm fine. Did you...?" He started.

Xie Lian cringed and bowed in apology. "I'm incredibly sorry. I wasn't able to return you to your ship, so I had to take you here to my home. I mean no offense, Captain."