2- ideas

Adam opened his eyes as the morning sun shone through the curtains. As he adjusted to the light he realised that today was in fact Saturday. The day he had his coffee meeting with Liz.

Adam had stayed up multiple nights trying to piece something together for his editors. But the more he tried, the more he realised that his ideas were getting worse.

He knew he had to come up with something quickly, or he would lose his contract. He figured maybe he could ask Liz for an idea today and then stay up all night writing and send it to James ready for his publishers to read tomorrow.

It seemed like a pretty solid plan.
——

As Adam walked into the coffee shop, he saw Liz stood by herself at the counter, waiting in line to order looking pretty fed up. He headed up behind her and tapped her shoulder causing her to jump and turn around.

"Oh my god Adam don't do that" she breathed
"Sorry" he smiled coyly

The young woman greeted the man with a hug taking him by suprise.
"So" Adam started "you looked pretty fed up stood over here"
"Yeah I don't do lines" Liz said casually. She explained to Adam that it wasn't the idea that she thought she was somebody behind the idea of her not liking lines, but just that she has very short patience and therefore standing and waiting was a painfully long task.

After about 10 minuets the others started to pile into the coffee shop, joining in on the small talk between the pair. It started with Maddie then raf and then Sam and rob who showed up last and met up outside in the parking lot before entering the cafe.

The 6 sipped their drinks and talked for over an hour before Adam invited the group back to his apartment for drinks and pizza.
——

A few hours had past since the group had headed back to Adams. His 4 friends were visibly wasted and had called an Uber ready to go home. Liz not wanting to intrude had also called an Uber soon after the 4 friends had exited the apartment, however was unable to be collected for another 60-90 minuets and therefore had time to kill.

After apologising numerous times about the situation and being repeatedly told by Adam that it was it wasn't a problem, Liz finally settled on the couch and began small talk with Adam.

"So" he started "what's your family like?"
He saw Liz's visible disgust at this question.
"Well" she began "my moms cool whenever she's around. She goes away on lots on business trips though so she's only home a few days a month. Then there's my dad...ugh my dad. He's the definition of a textbook narcissist. He believes highly in marrying for money not love. That's why I'm married to his shitty colleague Michael. He's higher up than my dad and apparently business is more important than my feelings" she sighed

"That's so weird...I mean he's your dad"

"Hardly. I barely know the guy. Then finally I have a brother George. He's 3 years younger than me so he's only 20, yet I'd trust him more than anyone. I'd trust him with my life"

Liz's family description confused Adam. Adam had never had the pressure of his parents on his back because growing up with 6 other siblings and especially being the middle child, he just learnt to take care of himself. Growing up he always questioned if it was a bad thing that his parents had no expectations. Weather had he have had more attention growing up, he wouldn't be in the situation right now. That he would have the motivation and the imagination to create that award winning story. But his parents did love him and Adam knew that, and realising how draining expectations really are, Adam was glad to have had the family he did growing up. It made him him.
——

The pair made small talk for a while until Liz's phone pinged telling her her Uber was outside. The pair shared a quick hug goodbye and Adam walked Liz out.

After she left Adam sat down at his computer and opened the blank word document once more. Through all the talk they had had, Adam had forgotten to ask Liz to give him an idea for his book. However she had helped him more than either of them knew.

Thinking back to the earlier conversation the pair had had, Adam realised it could be a good start for his story. Because he had never been in love, Adam struggled to understand how you're feelings for someone could grow so deep. How you became so fond of someone so quickly and how you're happiness could lie in the hands of someone else. That emotion was human to him.

Adam wasn't great with feelings. He never grew strong bonds and it seemed almost easy for him to give up on people when things got scary or difficult...or nothing at all. If he was done he was done. And if he no longer needed you then that was that.

He wanted him main protagonist in his story to resemble the girl he met just a week ago. He figured he could use her quite well to come up with a best selling story. Even if it meant leading her on and having to be her friend for a while. Use her story to influence his main character and then just go back to their normal lives soon after this train wreck came to an end.

Adam knew that in order to get the raw emotion from his character he had to make the girl feel things for him. Now usually that would seem like an impossible task for the young author...but the idea of a girl stuck in a loveless marriage, vulnerable on the inside and a boss on the outside somehow seemed more likely.

Of course he couldn't copy her life exactly. Even he wasn't that much of a plagiarist. However he could change it up slightly and still use the basic ideas.

Rather that a girl stuck in a marriage, it could be a girl trying to stop her marriage. But rather than her fathers company being at stake maybe it could be her own. She marries a guy she's just met as part of some master plan but ends up falling for him. She can't tell the world because she's rich and famous and she knows that they would only judge her for moving on to quickly.

Chapter one - the courthouse....