The Beginning Of The Beginning

Destiny, fate, whatever you may call it, has the opportunity to both raise and ruin lives.

You can be called to the practice of the violin and excel so greatly that you are known throughout the world for the beautiful art you have perfected.

Or, your fate can be much darker.

Tied to the fate of the gods and all humanity.

Much was the case of a young girl, Pandora of Thessaly.

The girl who was destined to hold the fate of the world in her hands.

This is her story.

***

Pandora was a part of a long line of women to hold the cursed jar that the gods had given to them long ago.

But there was a rule.

A rule stating that no woman of ancient blood may possess the jar.

It didn't say why, or what would happen if the rule was ever breached. It only said not to let it it happen.

But that is not where our story begins. And it does not start with the jar, or how it was opened, it starts with a young little girl. No more than 6, meeting a friend.

Her hair was tied up in braids as Pandora skipped down her family Vila. She was intent on finding another little girl to play with, all the village girls ignored her or were too friendly. None of them actually liked her.

But Pandora was a determined young girl, and she wanted a friend, her brothers were too noisy and off busy with her father in the city. And Pandora wanted someone to play with.

It was a hot day in Thessaly, Pandora's lifelong home, and the young girl wished she had worn her other chiton. But Pandora brushed the thought away as she saw her.

The other girl was perhaps a year younger then Pandora, with golden blonde curls spun in the most pretty ways.

Her name was Cassandra and was as pretty as Pandora herself, or, at least, that's what her mother said.

Along with her golden hair she had rare green eyes, that reminded Pandora of the bright fields around her family's home.

"What are you doing?" Pandora asked, flouncing up to Cassandra, surpassing all formalities. The young girl turned her startling eyes up to meet Pandora's plain brown ones.

"I'm writing my story, would you like to joy me?" Cassandra's voice was sweet, very different th.n the voices of the boy's Pandora normally played with.

"I see no reason not to, I would like you as my friend," Pandora said, much too bluntly, her mother would have disapproved. But Cassandra only smiled.

"I would like to be your friend as well. You have pretty hair." Now it was Pandora's turn to smile.

"But yours is golden." Cassandra laughed, her head shaking. Sending her curls tumbling.

"But you would not be able to see it without black."

That was the start of a friendship to last the ages.

A friendship that, in the end, would ruin the world.