( 𝐱𝐥𝐢.)

▬▬ι══════༻❁༺══════ι▬▬

BY DAY six I've more than learned my lesson and vow never to step out of line again. Despite being unable to smell the rancid water expelled from the pump, its murky-brown appearance and slimy feel against my skin is more than enough to set my stomach churning. The men around me, though glad the job isn't theirs, seem to suffer just as much. Their faces twist in disgust from the smell, hands clasped over their mouths and noses when they come too close or manage an unfortunate step into a puddle on deck.

Thankfully, the bilge only needs to be emptied once a week, but by the end of the first week, I realize it's much easier to spend two or three short afternoons on the pump rather than a whole day. So, much to the crew's displeasure, they have to endure the stench for at least two days of the week under my operation.

Three weeks with these new duties feels like an eternity, especially when I'm trying my best to act like the perfect seaman, keeping human as often as possible and hiding in the lookout perch instead of escaping to the skies. Reepicheep, at least, is great company. The two of us sit in the dragon figurehead on our days off and reminisce over all the adventures we shared and all the ones yet to come. He tells me stories and teaches me old Narnian songs and will watch the horizon in silence when the view across the Eastern ocean is calm and beautiful.

It's nice to have someone familiar I can be myself with. Usually, that person is Caspian or Nyssa, but with my best friend staying behind in Narnia to help Trumpkin keep things in order and the King being far too busy with his duties, I haven't had someone close on the ship. Of course, I've befriended a few of the crew members, but it's not the same when I only just met them a few months ago. I've known Reepicheep for years. And right now, it's safe to say he's the only thing keeping me sane.

Our arrival at Brenn is a relief. I spot the isle on the horizon just as the sun is setting, shouting from the figurehead lookout for the crew to hear. It gives everyone a fresh surge of energy and renewed excitement. We don't reach it for another few hours, though. And by then it's dark and the sky is lit up by the nearly full moon and constellations I've never seen before.

Carefully, we pull into Redhaven, the capital of the Seven Isles. The crew is as lively as I've ever seen them as we tie down the Dawn Treader and Drinian and Caspian seek out the harbourmaster, leaving Tavros in charge of watching the ship. No one is allowed to step foot off the deck yet, causing everyone — especially myself — to become an anxious, impatient wreck.

Finally, the two men return and announce to the crew they're free to spend the night in the city so long as they're respectful and not too loud, and that there's a nearby tavern recommended by the harbourmaster. This gets the men very excited, and they're headed off into Redhaven without a moment to spare.

"Are you going, too?" I ask Caspian, watching the enthusiastic crowd of Narnians disappear down the dock.

He snorts, shaking his head. "No. Someone must watch the ship."