The Invisible Hand

An eleven year old Shu likes Beyblading,  music and story books. His exam got over today, so he has ample time to enjoy what he likes. Normally he would go to play Beyblading with his best friend Valt. But today he has other plan. 

Just as he was back from school, his mother told that there's a surprise kept on his study table. He went and saw something gift-wrapped. Shu instantly understood what it could be. Every year on the day of his final exam, his Uncle sends him a book. The topics are always exciting for him. He knows he has to complete that book within few days as there will be so many questions asked on the book by the sender over phone.  

Shu's parents are going to visit one of their relatives and would have dinner out there

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Shu's parents are going to visit one of their relatives and would have dinner out there. Shu didn't want to go as there is no one of his age. And now as he saw a new book, he was extremely excited to be alone. At 6 P.M, his parents went out giving him all sorts of advice and instructions.

Shu thought to first have shower, then the delicious food his mom kept on the table and then go on with the book. 

As he was having shower, he noticed on the wall a palm imprinted as if someone with wet hand pressed the palm on the wall. The mark was close to the ceiling. Shu was puzzled, but thought it got created out of the water from shower. 

He came out and had snacks

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

He came out and had snacks. There are two bed rooms with balcony, one for Shu, other for his parents. One drawing cum dining room. An well arranged kitchen. There is a study table with a laptop, small plant, a book shelf, a cupboard and a single bed in Shu's room. Grey White walls and white floor. Shu came running in his room, slowly opened the wrap, hold the book and kept staring at it. The cover page creates some kind of shock, it was not only scary but created a ghastly feeling in him that he never had before just by seeing a book. 

Shu put it down and went to the dining room, switched on the TV. He was watching a Beyblade match, but somehow he felt like reading the book. He went to his room, opened the book. It seems to be a collection of small horror stories. The very first story is "The Invisible Hand".

Just as Shu started reading the story there was a power cut. It was dark in the room, Shu managed to have his mobile, flashed it but it was not enough. Why is the inverter not working? Shu can't remember when for the last time there was a power cut at his place. But he remembered a box of candles kept in the kitchen rack. Shu got hold of a candle, with the help of the match sticks lit it and put on his table. He was not able to make up his mind whether to read the story now or later. But whatever he tried to concentrate in, the book was somehow enticing him.

 But whatever he tried to concentrate in, the book was somehow enticing him

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Shu thought to read the first story. It was the story of a girl of his age. That girl was experiencing weird incidents while she was alone in the house. The story was gradually getting scary; the girl was seeing the role of an invisible hand in every action of her. Suddenly there was a sound of the door being closed in wind in Shu's room and Shu was shocked. He suddenly remembered the print of palm in the bathroom and became fearful. But he couldn't stop reading. 

The girl in the story screams as she finds herself locked in the room. Shu got up from chair and ran towards the door, made sure it cannot be closed. The dark room with big shadow of different objects on the wall was something Shu only saw in movie. He returned to his chair. As he started reading, he suddenly remembered that he didn't switch on the TV himself when he was watching the Beyblade match. In fact, the remote is kept on the drawer of the TV table and he never opened that !! Shu got goosebumps. 

Did he actually open the cover when he ate snacks? He can't remember. His mon told him while leaving to actually put the food in microwave for some time, but he forgot. What he clearly remembers is that the food was hot enough. 

Shu's hands were shivering, he thought to call his mom. As he took up mobile he saw some whatsapp notification. Shu opened the chat, it was mom's message 5 minutes back. But then there are messages from him also which he didn't send !!

Mom: Hello Shu, all fine? We are enjoying and missing you.

Shu: I am enjoying too mom. Don't worry.

Mom: What are you doing?

Shu: Reading the book mom. Feeling like reading it whole night.

Mom: Haha... that's crazy. ok, take care. We should be back by 12.

Shu could feel his heart beating faster. He understood something wrong going on. The incidents happening with the girl in the story is happening with Shu as well !! He lost ability to move from his chair. His right thumb was scrolling on the Whatsapp messages though and now there was more to be scared of. Shu saw some messages from his Uncle, as he read through:

Uncle: Shu, I am extremely sorry, I missed to send you this time. But believe me, it was not my fault. It was the delivery guy who couldn't deliver the book today. But I checked with him, it will reach you tomorrow morning. And guess what, this time you will be questioned on travel :)

Shu felt like screaming like the girl in the story. But he couldn't. He understood he had no control on himself. Neither he can move, nor he can shout. As he was trying to call his mom, the mobile fell on the floor. But somehow Shu's eyes were stuck on the book. It was the last page of the first story. Someone was forcing him to read. The girl in the story finally jumps from 8th floor through the glass window.

Shu was losing memory, he was numb. The candle flame was blinking. As Shu stared at the flame, he could remember that while reading the story so far, he did not actually turn over any page himself. As if there was an invisible hand turning pages for him as he was completing one. As Shu remembered this, he was desperate to get up, run and go out of the room. He stretched his hand to hold the candle but before he could pick it up, the candle extinguished.