Chapter Eighteen

Once I got back to the dry, sandy area, it hit me that I don't know where the boys or the girls are. I started walking through the hills of sand until I saw a broke down building that looks like it had been through so much. I walked into the broken building and started looking around. I found an old room with a glass wall that was broken. There was a flashlight on the floor. The flashlight was on and the light was shining straight into my eyes. I blocked the light and walked inside the room, turned off the flashlight, and put it in one of my bags. I walked around the room, examining everything. Someone had been here, there was no way someone couldn't have.

There was a bag on the floor, I grabbed it and looked inside. It was the medical bag I had given Jeff. It was made out of a blanket and sheets. I smiled at the thought of the boys being here, and the fact that the flashlight was on and hadn't died yet. They were most likely here within the last day or so.

I searched through the room for any supplies I could use and decided to just take the medicine bag with me and found a stable place to sleep. I had a blanket set up on the ground and a few strings with old empty cans set up around me for if someone walked in the room. Before I fell asleep, I made sure to take the medicine the doctors at Wicked had stored for me.

When I woke up, the room was completely silent. I don't know how that changed exactly. But all I remember is that now I'm outside, running for my life.

Cranks are chasing me, I've shot a few of them down with my pistol, but that's it. There are at least twenty of them.

My feet were tearing through the sand, pushing me through. I ran like my life depended on it, cause it does.

I got to the top of a hill and fell, sliding down the sand. There had to be a rock or something somewhere in the sand, I had a cut down my good leg. It was bleeding and had sand already getting stuck in the wound. I ran as fast as I could, but it was hard with a prosthetic leg and the other one having a huge gash on it.

As I ran, I thought of those boys, and Sonya and Harriet. I pushed myself even harder and ran up a hill, this time the area after it was flat, with no slopes to fall. I looked back and saw the cranks running down the hill I had fallen on. I continued running, faster than I should have.

I saw people walking across a flat desert plain. I continued running, my throat becoming dry. My only water was in the bottom of my bag, I couldn't get it yet. I continued running, becoming slower and slower every minute. The air felt thicker each second. It felt like everything was in slow motion. I was running as fast as I could, the cranks following me. I made it to another hill, it was the last one until the flat plains.

Dark clouds formed quickly like a storm, but there was no rain. There was a loud grumbling noise that almost made me fall. The noise reminded me of something. I had a brief flash in my mind. It wasn't even a flashback, but a picture, I still ran as fast as I could towards those people, but the picture ran through my mind.

The picture was of a door-like thing made out of some type of stone or metal. It was covered in some kind of plant, like Ivy. The two pieces of large metal were apart and revealed a dark corridor-like space. There were vines strung across and down the walls. It looked terrifying, but I also had a strong pulling urge to run around in the space. 

The doors went away and I was brought back to the issue at the moment. I was running and could feel the cranks getting closer and closer. A bolt of lightning struck the ground a few meters away from me, I fell to the ground and the cranks kept coming. They were only about ten meters away.

I stumbled to my feet and continued running towards the people, they had even started running after the lightning. I ran and ran, picking up my speed as I went. I couldn't feel the long cut down my leg anymore, the adrenaline from running made the pain go away. I pointed my pistol behind me and shot down three of the cranks. There were still around fifteen or so of them. The pole didn't hear the bullets from the thunder that pounded in our ears.