Chapter 7

Chapter warning: mental health, trauma, death, pills, food, mentions of self harm/ suicide
———

"But I don't think I could stand to be, when you don't see me," - Francis Forever, Mitski

Ada stared at the ceiling, replaying the thoughts in her head. She couldn't stop herself. Memories that she had pushed away, hidden in the darkest corners of her mind, flooded back.

She laid in her bed, letting it happen, letting the pain flood back over her all over again as she recalled the events that had lead her here.

Her stomach was tight with pain, her head was spinning, she felt like she couldn't breathe.

She closed her eyes and covered her face with her hands, willing herself to calm down. She was tired, tired of living a lie, tired of keeping her cool, she couldn't do it anymore.

"Hollis," She whispered, her voice pained.

-

"Hollis!" Ada cheered happily, running to her friend, embracing her in a hug. Hollis smiled warmly and wrapped her arms around Ada, running her hands through her hair.

Ada pulled away, smiling up at Hollis. Ada always thought she was gorgeous, the way her long, dark hair fell down her shoulders and her brown eyes always invited her in.

"Are you ready for tonight?" Hollis hummed, her voice thick like honey, and just as sweet.

"Of course!" Ada giggled, twirling around, Hollis catching her in her arms. Ada sighed and relaxed, her back against Hollis' chest. She felt safe.

They were attending a ball together, something they had never done before. Their families had never financially been upper class, but had somehow, unknown to the girls' knowledge, managed to get invited.

Ada grabbed Hollis' hand and spun to face her. Hollis gazed down at her.

The two had been inseparable since childhood, their families being close. Once the two were old enough to talk, they had been almost joined at the hip.

Their homes weren't far apart, just around the corner from each other, and they always met half way, everyday, to walk together to the Ada's family's farm, where they spent their days working.

The families didn't have much, but the bond of their daughters gave them all a sense of family between each other. The farm was owned by Ada's family, and Hollis' family helped maintain it, and even owned portions of the land.

The girls made sure the animals were fed, their stalls were clean, they had fresh water, essentially the care of the animals. They had named each and every creature that lived on the farm, including the family of mice that lived outside of the stalls.

They made up stories between the animals, gave them drama. It kept them entertained for the most part.

They walked hand in hand to the farm, laughing to one another. It was harmless. Right?

Ada always had felt a strong attachment to Hollis. She didn't know how to describe it, other than when she was with her, she felt like she could do anything, be anything.

And Hollis..

Hollis looked over Ada's features, always shocked by her beauty. She knew what she felt when she looked at Ada. A thump in her chest, a flutter that began in her stomach and crawled up her cheeks.

"Ada," Called Ada's father, who stood on the porch of their home as the two of them approached. He glanced between the two girls, and their hands that were delicately untwined.