Mask of Doom

It had been several days I had been with Neji, the others still on their mission. I was left in the comfort of wearing female clothes and not having to bind my chest up. As much as it restricted unnecessary movement and concealed my gender, it felt good to just wear a bra and a loose shirt.  Most days, I would be dressed in underwear and a loose shirt that covered up until my thighs, not needing pants in this hot weather. Neji seemed unfazed by it, but I didn’t care in the first place. However, it was rather risky, considering that the rest of our team could come into this sanctum any moment, and my cover would be blown.

This small cabin or house or whatever it was, had a familiar feel, like I had been here before. Although there was no source of entertainment, I was never bored. I would either lie in bed and doze off, or eat something. Neji would cook though; I had a horrible talent for cooking, despite my picky eating habits. Other times, I would just pester Neji, asking him irrelevant questions, which seemed to annoy him quite frequently. It was quite obvious to me that he liked Ten Ten, and her possibly liking him back. However, being the kind soul she is, she apparently didn’t mind just the two of us staying here. Neji needed to man up, so he could make a move on her.

            I wonder how Lee is doing, I hope he’s safe. Also Gai and Ten Ten, I hope they’re doing well. I reassured myself, saying they would be fine.

“Don’t you think you should tell Lee and Ten Ten about your gender?” Neji suddenly asked. I was just sitting on the couch staring at the scenery, while he was reading a book. I snickered, and shot him a look of ludicrousness.

“No?” I said, snorting, “Why the hell should I do that?” I kicked my feet off the ground and onto the couch, lying down with my pillow under my head. His eye twitched at my defiance, because he was obviously trying to tell me what to do

“Because they are our team mates and will-“

“Neji,” I interrupted, “I’ll tell them when the time is right, if it ever comes anyway. I’m only like this because I’m trying to protect everyone. I don’t want any rogues or criminals to attack Konoha for my sake, it’s better to know nothing than everything; it’s safer. When I get figured out, I will most likely change my appearance and move again. I don’t want this hunt to get innocent people involved. Until then, I’m doing my best to keep myself from people. Do you know how difficult it is to act cold hearted and emotionless, when you’re actually more of the opposite? Do you know how hard it is to wrap your chest every day and pose as a male, when you actually want to be one of those girls who go shopping?  I’m doing this for everyone else’s sake. If it was up to me, I’d still be in the shrine village!” Neji seemed to have stiffened a bit, signs of discomfort clearly showing. He seemed at a loss for words, unable to retaliate, despite being a prodigy.  I ran my hands through my short hair. In my sudden uproar, I had knocked my pillow off the couch as I had risen in anger. I clenched my fist, now angered by current situation.

Why couldn’t I have been killed too? Why was I even born into that damn clan where nobody even cared about me? Would it have been different if my mother had married someone from the clan? Or if I had the typical silver hair instead of my blonde hair? Is this the curse I bear from being another man’s daughter? No one would be able to do anything, if I killed myself. Nothing. The clan secrets would die with me. I kept regarding myself with statements and questions, and I was almost to a breaking point. I would end this and it would be over with.  Suddenly, a familiar voice rang through the air.

“YUKIO-SAN!!! NEJI!!! WE’RE BACK!” I heard Lee yell. My eyes widened and I bolted upstairs and into my own room. I quickly threw my oversized cloak on and that mask from before. I cringed at the sudden burst of chakra. Just as I popped the last contact into my eye, Gai burst through the door with tears of ‘youth’ streaming from his eyes. He skipped towards me, in a rather infantile matter as he tackled me into a hug.