Missed Time

I stood at the airport with my suitcase in hand. The light breeze made my sundress flutter as the blinding light shone above, my sunhat barely protected me from the light. I sat on the building ground since the sun blocked the road from my sight.  I turned my luggage on my side to make a bench as I waited for Isabella. I haven't seen her for 6 years. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom and my family, but I couldn't be around anyone after the Death of Lucas. I'm surprised I even got up for work and out of the house. Thankfully my job allowed me to be absorbed in my duties which allowed me to postpone thinking about him

"Thanks for inviting me! It's such a great day to go to Hawaii!" Isabella's aged voice exclaimed from behind.

I knew I had to get up, it was the kind thing to do, but I couldn't. I stared at the sun through the weaves of my hat. This was the place he died. On this concrete. He was so young, he means so much to me. He was taken too soon. 

"Baby," Her voice was softer when I felt her wrinkled hand rest on my shoulder.  "I know you miss him, I miss him too." She put her hand on my cheek, turning my head towards her. Forcing me to look at her through my tear-soaked eyes. "He wouldn't want this. He would want you to be happy with your family. Like the girl skipping through the lavender field in the rain, the one that he fell in love with. You need to find that girl and bring her out. You can't move on if you don't," Her words broke my heart but also fueled my anger.

I shot up, causing Isabella to fall to the ground. I twisted around, the wind from on-going cars blew behind me. My back was to the road and I could easily walk through it. 

"WHY DO YOU CARE NOW? YOU NEVER COMFORTED ME WHEN HE DIED IN MY ARMS!" I walked forward navigated my way to my suitcase through my tears. They fell on the concrete, quickly drying from the heat. 

She looked up at me, following my movement with her brown eyes. Her words broke my heart, I didn't think it could get but it did. This new information made it break into tiny pieces.

"I couldn't get past that I lost my future son-in-law on the same day he would call you fiance. It was selfish of me not to comfort you. You must feel worse than I do," I turned to her, wiping my tears.  "I can help you if you let me in," 

I half-heartedly spoke. "Sure," 

We sat in silence, the world continued moving around us. Until my mother spoke. "I know who killed him" My mother confessed.