06. FINALE

━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━

you ran back up the mountain, humming a soft tune. you made your way into the campsite, seeing albedo hard at work. he was drawing something against the large canvas, switching between a photo on his desk and then the paper. "hey, kreideprinz. what are you up to━"

he instantly turned the canvas to the side, clearing his throat as he turned to you. "n-nothing. how was the run to mondstadt?"

"they only had a few left━thanks to your constant need of them━but i got them. here," you passed him the small container, the boy nodding as he placed it on his desk. "now, what's the big ruin guard doing here? are you toying with the dead?"

"not exactly, but i guess so," he shrugged, grabbing the chaos core off the desk. "here. i'll give you the honors of placing it in, y/n."

"placing it where?"

"in his chest, dummy," he knocked his soft knuckles on your head, causing you to glare. "now, go ahead, i'll watch from behind you."

you nodded, using both of your hands to lift the heavy core into the disabled ruin guard. as the core turned, you smiled, dusting off your hands as it began to spin. "done!"

"awesome, let's━" as you turned away, you heard the light noises of a dove. smiling, you ran out to the outside, seeing the dove on the tree.

"albedo, look, it's the dove!" you giggled, beckoning for it to come down. however, it doesn't look at you━and instead, it continued to stare ahead. "albedo, come━"

as you turned its direction, you see albedo with his crossed arms, raising an eyebrow at you. but, when your heart fell to the floor watching as the ruin guard stood up, you knew what was to come.

"hey, albedo?" you questioned.

"yeah?"

"how long do doves live?"

"hm..." he asked, causing you to look closely at him. cute. "depends on their environmental conditions. some can last years, while others can just live average at 1.5 years."

"what about those who live longer than the rest? are they special?"

"i suppose so, why?"

"...just asking,"

in that moment, you realized why he resembled a dove to you now. as your eyes met the canvas of a drawn portrait━of a woman who looked exactly like you━and the blue eyes that stared at you one last time, you fell to the floor.

"albedo!" you screamed, watching as his face twisted in expression. before he could even have the chance to run, the ruin guard stepped down, leaving albedo to dust. you heard the machinery drive closer towards you even as you couldn't watch any further, but when it falls right in front of you, 

you could see the dusted albedo with his fist clenched around the chaos core. you blinked, sniffling as he fell to his knees. "albedo, shoot━albedo, don't worry, i'll go to mondstadt, and━"

"don't worry, i'm alright," he chuckled, his head laying in your lap as he tossed the chaos core out of his left hand. "...y/n?"

"albedo━"

"don't forget me, alright?" he questioned, smiling softly. "i know i appeared for only such a short time, but don't forget me. i...will always love you."

"don't say it like it's ending, albedo, please━"

"you will always be my first love, the person who thawed my cold heart," he nodded, and as his eyes fade in the soul, he whispered one last thing.

"i promise...i'll always be your snow dove."

and with the scenery that could promise you nothing,

and with your soft sobs that meant the end of a living relationship, 

you understood why he said to never make promises you can't keep.

you slowly walked over to the canvas, turning it towards you to see the scene.

it was your first kiss together, the picture sucrose took while snooping on you guys. it was an ecstatic feeling, something that caused you both eternal happiness even under a short amount of time.

your snow dove was gone, but he'd always remain in the dust.

and as the chaos grew, your hands clenched sucrose's photo, tears pouring down your face.

"i'm sorry, albedo," you whispered, even when he couldn't hear you any longer. "i'm sorry...that you couldn't be the special dove any longer."

end.