Prolouge

"(Y/n)! You should come with me!" (Y/n)'s older brother, Chrollo, insisted.

Chrollo, who was dressed in an entire black attire, was running away from the house where his family, consisting of 3 others, lived. Chrollo had been sick of his parent's constant nagging. They had always told him what to do, how to feel, how to act. And he was sick of it. If he got a score below %90 on a test from school, they would judge him, and force him to study without food for the rest of the day. His younger sister, who was 5 at the time, was the only one who actually seemed to care about him. She would sneak food into her room, and wait until her parents would go to sleep. After their room went dark, she would would quietly tip-toe to her brothers room and give him the food she had hidden from her parents' sight prior.

"I can't." She tilted her head downwards in shame. "Mother and father care to deeply about me. If I were to go 'missing', they would send search parties everywhere until I am found." She explained. For a 5 year old, she had gone under a heap of learning torture. She had already surpassed the average 8 year old in all subjects.

"And they wouldn't care for me." Her brother agreed rather happily, despite having to leave his sister behind. "Well then, perhaps I should leave now." Her brother walked up to her, engulfing her in a long lasting hug. Neither components of the pair wanted to let go, but Chrollo had to leave before their parents heard something and found out about his plan. He kissed his younger sister on the forehead, before jumping onto the window seal, lifting the window and allowing the nights cold air to flow into the slightly warmer room.

"Chrollo, wait!" The said 14 year old turned his head towards the direction of the voice. (Y/n) had grabbed her favourite teddy bear, and handed it to her brother. "Take it! So you can always remember me!" The girl started to tear up but held back the droplets of water, she was upset that her brother was leaving.

"(Y/n), I could never forget you." He chuckled softly, took the teddy bear, and carefully placed it into the bag he was taking. He ruffled the 5 year old's hair, messing it up, before jumping out the window.

(Y/n) watched in awe and sadness as her brother swiftly ran through the large front yard. That was the last time (Y/n) saw Chrollo. As soon as he was out of sight, (Y/n) burst out crying. She tried to calm herself down, but nothing seemed to be working. The young girl decided she would sleep in her brothers bed that night.
___________________

"(Y/n)?!" Her mother awoke the peacefully sleeping girl. "There you are! I thought you were missing!" Her mother sighed heavily of relief.

"Did you find her?!" (Y/n)'s father was the one to yell this time, fully awakening the girl.

She sat up looking at her parents' relieved faces, confused by the sudden ruckus, she asked,

"What's bothering you, mother, father?" She quirked an eyebrow up.

"We thought you had been kidnapped!" The mother yelled, running towards the girl and tightly hugging her. Her father had stayed positioned at the doorway, not moving.

"(Y/n), go have a shower, by the time you're out, your breakfast will be ready." Her mother let go of her, and walked out with her father. As much as she hated showers, she also loved them. She hated the coldness before she went in, and when she came out, but the sensation of the warm water hitting her frail skin relaxed all the tension she had felt.

It was exactly as thought of. The warmth of the water was beautiful. All of the tension in her had started disappearing. That was until...she remembered the events that occurred the previous night. Her mind instantly filled with the memories of crying for hours until she finally passed out. She remembered the sorrowful look she received from her brother before he vanished into the darkness of the world beyond the tall steel gates.

But would her parents' care? They had never been proud of Chrollo, no matter how hard he tried. She didn't know why, why her parents' disliked her wonderful brother so much. He taught her the things she didn't understand so she didn't have to go through the same things she never knew he went through.

"Chrollo..." she whispered. She hasn't even noticed the tears streaming down her face due to the water spraying out of the shower washing them away.

She then remembered her situation right now. She had to hurry up in the shower before her mother yelled at her for taking so long and wasting the hot water.
——
Her footsteps faintly echoed throughout the house as she rushed down the stairs. She had seated right as her mother served breakfast. Her father, acting like those in movies, was reading the weeks newspaper. Her mother sat next to her father, she was seated alone.

"Where's your brother? You were sleeping in his bed and he wasn't to be found." Her mother asked, though it more like she didn't really care at all.

(Y/n) didn't know how to respond, naturally, her brother would have told her what to say when something was happening, but he wasn't here now...

"I don't know.." She replied honestly, however, she added, "I had a nightmare last night and went to him about it. He allowed me to sleep in his bed with him." That was a good save, but more would have to be added to the lie.

"Why didn't you come to us?" Her mother asked as she took her first bite of her toast.

"I didn't want to bother you." She continued eating, acting innocent.

"He probably ran away." (Y/n)'s father spoke, not looking up from his newspaper.

"I wouldn't be surprised. He'll come back." Her mother started eating.

(Y/n) felt betrayed. She had only been 5 years old, but she already understood how inhumane her parents' were.