CHAPTER 2

Our university campus had always been beautiful. When I went there for the first time to study engineering, I was mesmerized. The lotuses in the lakes, birds in the big, green trees, swans and ducks beside the lakes, tall and elegant buildings and green grounds had attracted me towards them. In those past three years it had become my home, dearer than my own home. The university campus had a fresh environment contrary to the city outside its walls. I smoked a cigarette and walked slowly through the campus. Some boys were playing football that early, some girls were running around the ground, aged people were walking, there was a laughing club too. I never knew about those things before.

When I used to live in my home my mother would wake me up at six in the morning to study but I always fell asleep with my books open. My father used to switch off the fan in summer and snatch my quilt in winter to wake me up. But nothing could ever wake me up before seven. After I started living in hostel; I always enjoyed my morning sleep. No one was there to disturb me until that day. As I remembered what happened earlier that morning, I sighed. Hopefully it would not repeat the next day.

I bought a butter toast and a cup of tea from the canteen and went to my room. Surojit and Snehangsu were eating breakfast but Nabarun was nowhere in the room.

"Look, Nishith is eating breakfast today" Snehangsu said with a grin.

As I always woke up late, I never ate breakfast. I didn't like to eat in the morning and I used to have classes at 10:20 am every day. After waking up at nine I only got time to freshen up, take a bath and get ready for class. The first food I used to eat in the morning was the meal served in the dining hall of my hostel. Surojit and Snehangsu were students of the Faculty of Arts and they usually had classes after noon. So, they had time to enjoy their morning tea and breakfast.

"Thanks to our new roommate, I have to wake up early," I said sarcastically.

Surojit laughed loudly. "That was really intense in the morning. Angsu, did you hear?"

"A little bit," Snehangsu replied.

"Where is he?" I asked.

"He is taking bath. But you did an amazing job today," Surojit said with a grin.

"Fuck you Suro, you didn't even say a word. You were acting like you were sleeping but you are laughing at me now. You are the Floor Representative, you should have some responsibility" I said annoyedly.

"You did it well, why should I interfere? And what is the role of Floor Representative in this matter? You should solve your own problems."

I finished my breakfast and went to take a bath. I could not study in the morning so I decided to arrange my cupboard. I pressed some shirts too. In the mean time I did not talk to Nabarun, neither did he.