Chapter 13

I slam the door shut after Nate, my brother and I file into my brother's office. I sit in the chair behind the desk and tell them to sit. They hesitantly sit and then they start doing all of their nervous habits. Preston starts biting his lip and drumming his fingers against the desk; Nate starts tapping his foot on the ground and bites the inside of his cheek. I lean my elbows onto the desk and rest my head on my palms. I sigh, "So who's gonna start with saying whatever they want? Huh?"
        "Olivia, I'm sorry I got caught up in the meeting. I know I said it should've been done a long time ago but... I don't know. I was never good at this stuff, you were. I just...," Preston says with begging for forgiveness eyes, shoving his face into his. I press my lips together, preventing me from caving. "I don't want to hear it. What business was I called here for? Is there a problem with the company?" Nate shakes his head and Preston stands up, "Well, I, uh kind of, well, I, uh-"
        I start to get impatient with him so I cut him off, "Stop beating around the bush, Preston. Just say it or I'm leaving. I don't have time to waste." He clears his throat and looks to Nate who just shrugs at him. He sighs, "Well I met someone and we're been steady and she's kind of my fiancee now." I gape at him and then stand up-right. I nod my head and he continues, "There's a masquerade charity event tonight that she put together and I was wondering if you could come and meet her. She wants to meet you but I kept on getting busy with work. I know you don't like to go to these functions because it draws attention but...would you please make an exception? I really love her."
       I raise my brows, "You really love her?" He grins, "With all my heart."  I nod my head again, "Sure, I'll meet her but then I'm gone. I won't stick around and tonight probably won't end well being that our parents will be there keeping up there reputations...right?" He nods and then I walk towards the door. When I reach the threshold I turn back around, "Oh and one of the interns, Maia, is now my assistant. She won't be working here any longer. I figured I would mention something since I hand-picked her." I turn on my heels and then walk out to see Victoria and Maia talking.
        I walk up to them and smile at them. I sit in the chair and start to eat my bagel that I got while learning a little bit more about Maia. We all have small talk and then when it's time for Victoria's lunch break we all head to the little shop that has the most exquisite sandwiches ever in existence. I got a chicken BTL and Victoria and Maia got turkey clubs. We're currently sitting at a table just talking and catching up. Spontaneously, Maia asked, "So I have a question about work." I nod and then she continues to ask her question, "So what exactly do I do and when do I start?"
        I laugh a little and then start talking about all of her tedious tasks, "Okay well this is serious but not so I'm not gonna be like ridiculous. Hmm... well I'm pretty independent where you really don't have to do much because I kind of assist people with their schedules. You'll meet them soon. Oh but if anything about the company like a meeting or something that I absolutely have to attend or some kind of function that has to do with Thompson Global then you'll need to keep track of that. Other than that you pretty much don't have to do anything. Most of the time you really don't have to show up."
        She opens her mouth from shock and asks, "Is the whole living with you thing still on the table because my roommate is awful and I don't have enough saved for anything at all." I chuckle, "Yes it is and it also comes with food and stuff. Cause if would be inhumane to not feed you. Oh and I would need you to move asap. If you need help packing up or anything we can just hire a guy. Plus I'm sure everyone will love you back home." Maia nods eagerly and then she says, "You had me at food and I don't have much stuff and that would probably all fit in a couple of suit cases." I nod, "Oh and I almost forgot I need you to attend something with me tonight. There's this charity event that I'm supposed to attend for my brothers sake and I don't want to go alone, plus we need to act like I have you doing a lot of stuff as my personal assistant."
        "No, do I have to buy a dress?" I nod and she pouts, "I'm not too overly fond of dresses." I laugh, "Me either but it's necessary since it's a masquerade party

        So we just finished shopping and I'm so relieved that we only had to go to two stores to find dresses for the both of us. We're now getting ready at the hotel room. "Hey Olivia why are there so many rooms with unmade rooms?" Oh shit! What am I gonna tell her? "Remember how I said that I kind of assist people with their schedules?" She nods her head so I continue, "Well they were here and they flew back this morning. You'll meet them and I'm sure you'll love them and vice versa." She laughs and we both finish putting on our makeup. I normally don't wear makeup cause I think it's stupid but...
        "How do I look," Maia asks while spinning around in a circle. She looks amazing to be honest. I do a little spin with my get up, "A thousand times better than I do." She scoffs, "Are you kidding me? Olivia you look stunning." I laugh, "That means you look above and beyond beautiful. Oh and call me Liv or Vi, Olivia is just too formal." She nods and then laughs and grabs her bag before walking towards the door.

        We pull up in Maia's 2007 Honda Civic. The valet guy opens our doors and takes the key from Maia. We walk towards the entrance and I'm immediately greeted by a slim lady with her hair in a bun and a beautiful dress. She welcomes us and then asks for our name so she can lead us to our table. We walk to our table and when we approach the table seating eight, Preston and Nate show up. Nate has a suit and tie on whereas Preston has on a suit with the top button unbuttoned.
        "Olivia, I'm glad you could make it," my brother beams at me. I roll my eyes and state, "I'm only here because I want to meet my future sister-in-law. Quite frankly I'm still pissed at the two and don't think that you two can be kiss-ups and everything will be okay, cause it won't." They frown and then pout. A woman walks up to Preston from the side and once he sees her his face lights up. I smirk and walk in front of him before she can reach him. I hold out my arm, "Hi, you must be my future sister-in-law. I'm Olivia." She grabs my hand and pulls me into a hug. I laugh and she scolds, "Preston, you said she was pretty, but you didn't say she was this pretty." I feel blush creep onto my face and she just giggles. I introduce her to Maia and we all start talking and everything was going smooth until a voice that I've heard way too many times said, "Olivia, is that you?"