An interesting night

Today is the day that I dread. Not because it is the last race weekend on the Moto2 calendar but because I have an important deadline coming up. There is one thing that is holding me back from signing with Ducati. The thing is I should be happy since it has always been my dream to join the MotoGP grid but my past has other ideas. I take a deep breath as I start the quick process of getting my gear ready. The good thing is I have my race suit on already since I needed it for some media stuff which I despise.

"Hey, Mav. I think you should take the contract," My best friend turned PR officer remarks as she pushes her way past the small crowd.

"Lo...look I t...t...old you alrea...dy I'm not sure," I reply. I know I need to take the risk but with a stutter, the media stuff is going to be worse. I hate the fact that my father took away the one thing that would help my career. maybe things would have gone quicker if I went with my mum. There are so many things that I have to be thankful for like winning the Red Bull Rookies Cup.

"I'm just saying. I made sure the contract limited the verbal media commitments. You should be fine to take it," She is being insistent. I do understand why but I want to focus on the race ahead. I give my best friend a familiar gesture. It is a little hand wave to let her know that I have acknowledged her. She responds with a little good luck pat on the shoulder. It is her way of making sure I had a bit of luck. Normally I'd be annoyed at her actions but this time I needed some luck. This race was the one that I needed to score well in. Thankfully the mechanics are quick. After five minutes of waiting in my spot in the first place position the race starts. My mind snaps to the task ahead. I quickly pull my feet off the ground as I launch the bike. I have always loved the feeling of quick acceleration. It will be one of the things that I am going to miss if I don't take the contract. I soon notice my biggest rival, Connor, in my mirror. This is going to be fun. The issue is I have to wait for the straight to defend because right now my knee is almost touching the ground as I turn through the first corner.

"Mavi be careful. Connor is closing the gap," The team principal remarks. I quickly pull myself up but as I am doing it I make sure that I acknowledge my boss. I swiftly get to work on keeping my position. I know it will be a challenge but it will be fun. I have decided to enjoy the race before I sign the contract with Ducati. I find myself tutting as Connor tries to get past with little success. After what feels like an eternity I have managed to pull away from Connor.

"Gap?" I use the radio to confirm my feeling that I have pulled away.

"Two seconds," The team principal responds. It may not sound like a lot but to me, it means I have won the Moto2 championship and I will have nothing to worry about until I start with Ducati. After five more laps the race has come to an end with me on top. Even though I have won the race I am not particularly happy. It doesn't take long for me to bring the bike to the pits where I am met by the cheers of the support personnel. I'm guessing that the hugs haven't started because I am yet to dismount. Again it is a quick task.

"Congratulations Mavi," My lead mechanic is the first to congratulate me.

"Thanks," I keep my response short because I know my stutter may be an issue. The thing is I shouldn't let it bother me but it does. After a minute of congratulations, I make my way to the cool-down room where I am met by Connor and the third-place rider.

"I don't think I could have had a better rival. If the gossip is correct then you should go to Ducati," Connor adds to my list of congratulations. Little does he know I have decided to take the contract. It will be interesting to see what the team at Ducati will think of me as a person. They will already know about my defect but if anyone has any complaints I'll send them to my PR officer after all she knows how to defend me well. Thankfully the podium ceremony is quick. Now I have to go find my PR officer. The good thing is she is also looking for me.