✾Chapter Thirteen✾

Daniella sat on the edge of the armchair with a straight back and a cup of coffee held between her two hands. Her eyes darted between the two brothers as they sat quietly exchanging meaningful looks.

"So, what brought you all the way here brother?" Damon asked in a curious tone. Another things he was even more curious about was how Stefan figured where he was.

Stefan glanced quickly towards Daniella, then turned back to his brother tensely, "I'd rather we talk alone" He said stiffly and his eyes darted once more to her.

Feeling utterly embarrassed and uncomfortable. Daniella stood up and gave a polite smile with a small nod. "Of course..." She glanced around and looked at the time, "I have to... Uhm... Grab a couple of things before I head to school"

Daniella was ready to leap out of the room, but as she was about to leave Damon grabbed her hand and pulled her next to him on the couch.

She could feel heat rising from her neck and up to her face, as she was partially fell on his lap.

Damon gave Stefan a challenging glare, "You can say whatever in front of her"

Stefan narrowed his eyes at his brother, but relented anyway. "I dug into the old family archived from the early 1900s"

Damon raised an eyebrow, "So, now you want to be helpful"

"Want me to go back to being mad at you?" Stefan challenged, but it was obvious he really didn't mean the words.  Despite all the drama they had been through, Stefan thew that Damon cared for him. If anything his speech last night was the biggest proof of that.

Stefan recalled the passionate look on Damon's face as the woman he had compelled for him with Rebekah stood frozen in her place.

"You are my brother and I want to help you. I only have you Stefan and you know I can help you control yourself. You've spend a century and some more going between one extreme or another, isn't it enough brother?"

Damon's voice interrupted the very fresh memory in his mind. "What did you find?"

"Nothing from 1912" Stefan paused noticing how Daniella tried to put some space between her and Damon, but he didn't allow it. Stefan didn't say anything about the scene and continued, "they never did arrest anyone for the founders' murders, but they did get a confession ten years later"

Daniella's eyes widened in shock and hurriedly inquired, "Who was it?"

"Johnathan Gilbert's granddaughter, Samantha" Stefan's eyes focused back on Damon, "They assumed she was crazy, locked her up in an insane asylum"

"Then what?" Damon asked with squinted eyes.

Stefan shrugged, "trail ends there. She was a founder and they look out for each other"

Damon relaxed his back on the couch, his fingers rubbed at the faint stubble growing on his chin. "Samantha Gilbert" He whispered the name under his breath, "that is very weird" He continued more to himself.

Daniella turned to his with knitted eyebrows, "And why is that?"

"I'm pretty sure I had already killed her" Damon's words were met with shell-shocked silence.

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

Daniella barely made it without being late to her first class. She could feel a terrible headache making its way towards the center of her brain.

She risked a glance to the seat next to hers in class, but found it empty. She wondered if Jeremy had decided not to show. She let out a sad sigh, but decided to not dwell over her lost friendship anymore.