The man in the suit

Thomas was walking back from school with Teresa in silence, she was fidgeting with her hands as they walked down the concrete road, they pass houses and businesses all bland shades of grey. somethings been bugging Teresa for the past few weeks but she hasn't said anything, before Thomas got the chance to ask she speaks up in a quiet voice. "I did something Thomas and you have to promise not to hate me." "What is it Teresa?" He asked slightly nervous. She didn't murder someone did she?
"You didn't murder anyone did you?" He voiced his thoughts with a laugh."what? No! It's just, my teacher came to me a few months ago saying that I-" she trailed off a worried expression on her face. He stayed quiet waiting for her to continue. "she asked me to send an application to the capitol for this years hunger games."

Thomas stood in shock for a moment before finally speaking "you said no didn't you?" A look of annoyance crosses her face. "What? Of course not I said yes! This is a big opportunity for me even though I won't win it'll look great on my record, when I get a job at the factory." she explains trying to push her enthusiasm on him, "Let me get this straight. You have to come up with an idea of how to best torture kill and mentally scar children for crazy people to watch and enjoy." Thomas makes sure to whisper, not feeling like getting publicly executed today.

She scoffed "it's not like they're actually going to pick my idea. They'll be hundreds of ideas that'll make mine look like a two year old came up with it." She said trying to ease the tension. "it's not about if you get picked or not Teresa its the fact that you'd even consider giving them ideas!" He said wincing slightly at his volume, He looked around making sure no one heard him. "It's my future we are talking about Tom, it's just a paper it's not going to become anything more. Besides I already finished it, it was sent to the capitol on the train this morning with the other students forms." Thomas stared at her for a second before speaking. "Teresa it's more then that! Even if they don't pick your idea what if they use part of it in their own design? How would you feel then? Your idea killing someone?" She was silent for a second.

"Look Tom, I'm sorry it's over and done with now" she said grabbing his arm. "Let's go home and eat it's late we don't want to get caught out past dark by peace keepers." Thomas nodded, they started walking after a while she wrapped her arm around him he instinctively wrapped his arm around her waist as they walked. "Even if they use one of my ideas 24 kids will still be murdered no matter what we do." Something broke in her voice as she said it. He pulled her tighter into his side as a way of telling her He knows. They walked in silence until they made it to her house. They said a quick goodbye before He started walking to his.

8 months later

Teresa was antsy sitting in class, the reaping was in a few days who wouldn't be antsy. She looked up when a man in fancy suit barged in like he owned the place, not sparing a glance at anyone else in the class he headed straight for the teacher and whispered something in her ear. whatever he said must've been quite surprising because her eyes widened significantly. "Class that's all for today no homework enjoy your day, Teresa I need a word with you." Teresa perked up when she said her name thought racing through her head, what did the guy say? What is this about? Was she in trouble? After a second of thought it hit her. Her idea. the application. Her mind was buzzing they couldn't have picked her it's impossible. but what else could a rich capitol looking man want? Her eyes flicked over to Thomas, his face said he was thinking the same thing.

After class ended everyone left, She cast a worried glance at Thomas as he left he returned it, looking even more worried, making her even more worried. She walks up to the teachers desk where the man and her teacher were still standing. "Teresa big news! They picked your idea! Whatever is was must've been amazing, The head game keeper took one look at it and and picked it! The first district made arena to ever exist, isn't this exciting!" She exclaimed happily.

Teresa was shocked. She felt guilty, extremely guilty but under that guilt there was a sense of relief. I let a smile form on my face. "You will be given a cash prize, on the day of the reaping you will go to the capital with the tributes as a VIP, it grants you a front row seat of the hunger games." The capital man explained, his words made my blood run cold. The capitol? Oh god Teresa was about to speak when he cut her off. "You can not under any circumstances tell anyone anything about what will take play in the arena or there will be consequences understood?" She nods still in shock, She's going to the capitol and Shes going to have a front row eat of people dying, She wanted to cry but I can't right now, She fakes her best smile and speaks. "That's amazing! tell the head game keeper I am so grateful and I can't wait to see what the capitol is like first hand."
He nods.

"That is all, congratulations." The man says before turning and walking out of the class room not even closing the door behind himself. Then unexpectedly her teacher pulls her into a hug. "I'm so proud of you Teresa I knew you could do it." the hug is awkward Her wants to leave. Teresa gently push her away. "Thank you, but I'm already late for lunch I don't want to keep my friends waiting." She says with a awkward chuckle. "Oh yes right, run along now." Her teacher said still smiling.

"Teresa!" Thomas yells from the spot they always sit at for lunch. "Hey" She says sitting down beside him on the concrete, leaning back against the white paint chipped wall. "What was that all about?" He asked. Not able to decide how to break it to him, She decides to just be blunt. "My idea was chosen, the arena is going to be my design. I'm going to the capitol with the tributes." She was now struggling to breath. She wishes she just told her teacher no, and not sent that stupid paper to the capital.

Thomas staring at her in disbelief he doesn't say anything he just pulls me into a hug, she grabs him by his shirt pulling him closer. "I can't even tell anyone. I can't warn the tributes."

Thomas doesn't say a word the rest of the day, neither does Teresa. They're both just try to pretend it isn't happening at all.