Twice Loved at Armageddon, Part II

Chapter Four

Scott thought for a moment.  Nobody had called the Israeli Defense Forces to ask if their Quick Reaction Force had been dispatched during the attack. He then tried the programmed numbers and then a text message.  None of those numbers worked. There was no internet service Why? With no date/time on his phone and no GPS signal, he realized his phone wasn't working at all. He then listened for older AM and FM radio broadcasts on his phone. Nothing. He then listened for radio broadcasts anywhere.  It was as if such thing had never existed at all. It was like the whole world had grown silent.

Weapons training went well on Monday morning for Israeli students, but the American students had trouble discovering which end the rounds came out of their rifles. The Israeli students hit the dirt when some pointed their rifles in the wrong direction.

Although Yigal's team was in charge of training, Scott upbraided his team. He said, "I pray that you students learn to shoot before we have to deal with real terrorists. Right now we'd be better off with you on their side." Scott then thought he had been too harsh. "Look, guys, let's just keep at it. You'll get the hang of it in a few days."

The training instructors conferred with Yigal and announced work assignments. Yigal would mix the Americans and Israelis for the day. Scott took his group and placed armed guards above his marked-off area to provide security. Then they settled down to routine work.

Weapons were kept within reach of all those digging. It was mid-afternoon that a security guard called out to Scott. "Vehicles approaching," he said in alarm. Then his voice relaxed. "No, they're ours."

The army was escorting some khaki-clad men and women, making little noise as they passed within a hundred meters of Scott's worksite on their way up to the project trailer. Scott rotated his guards for the remaining few hours of work. Those students coming off guard duty were glad to get down to routine light digging and brushing. They laid down their weapons and had some water.

Within an hour, Yigal came over the hill with his companion. Scott could tell from Yigal's description that this was Doctor Farah Abed. Although she was closer to Scott's age than he expected her to be, she looked at least a year older. Nevertheless she was every bit the beauty Yigal said she was.

She had a small waist and olive skin so common in the Mediterranean. Her shoulder-length dark hair was a long-layered cut, with swept-over bangs. Nature had spared her any need of eye makeup. As she came closer, Scott noticed her left cheek bore a natural beauty mark that every would-be model longed for.

No one cared that she wore no lipstick. With weapon carried upside down by its rifle sling on her shoulder as if it grew there, she nevertheless walked with feminine grace but with supreme confidence. To Scott's surprise, there was no sense of arrogance or self-importance as she approached him with her disarming smile. This was no task master coming to make him miserable. His previous apprehension at her coming melted in an instant. He liked her already. He thought to himself, who wouldn't?

When they reached Scott's pit, Yigal began introductions. "Doctor Abed, I want you to meet Scott Sanderson, specialist on the Period of Israel's Kings, and who heads up the American team from the University of Maryland. Today they are dispersed among the other teams, but you'll meet the others later."

She stood smiling but didn't speak at once. Her eyes searched Scott's. It was as if she were trying to communicate with him on a subliminal level. She then said, "Please forgive my starring. I meant no disrespect." She looked back to Yigal and then to Scott.

Yigal resumed introductions, "Scott, this is Doctor Farah Abed, an expert on first-century Palestine."

Her dark eyes continued to search his, not that he minded it. One thing was obvious. She could attract any man she wanted. This was no love-struck teen with a crush, if she were interested in him at all. Her unspoken attention did not repulse him. She got down into the pit with them.