Staying alive

I started in a bass voice trying not to give away the bullet-influenced agony I was under, “Hello, come in this is Flight J16 France to Vic Falls. Do you copy?” There were a few suspenseful moments before answer. “Yes this is Control Tower 332 to J16.

We copy you loud and clear” I heard the rustling of papers before he continued “yes I presume this is captain Braithwaite, correct?” Although I did not answer his question, the answer I gave him clued him in “No, this is by no means Captain Braithwaite! My name is George Pieter, G-E-O-R-G-E. I am a passenger on Flight J16 and I’ve called to tell you that we have been hijacked!”

The brief silence that prevailed soon after was immediately ended by more gunshots- this time aimed at the cockpit door and shouts quickly joined in “Hey you open up now! Open up!” I wasn’t worried too much as I knew that these doors were fireproof and unlike my throbbing gut, bullet-proof as well. My main worry was now channeled to the various people in the cabin.

What if they vented their anger and frustration on these innocent people? No I couldn’t think like this. I had only one mission: LAND THIS PLANE SAFELY (and to stay alive as well). Especially staying alive...

I quickly lost my patience with ATC and decided to do things George’s way. I had flown in France for a few years before and I knew my way around, even from 10 kilometers up. I decided that the best option was to make an emergency landing as soon and fast as possible.

As the cockpit door continued to bang continuously, I turned off the Autopilot and put the throttle to its limits as I made a daring attempt to head back to the French capital. It would be about 30 minutes until we got there.

The longest 30 minutes of my life. I took a sigh of relief as I saw the weather clearing up and as a neat rainbow displayed its splendor. Not only that, but my bleeding also slowed down. There it was the airport. I had never thought that I would so glad to see the asphalt tarmac. Only then did I turn to ATC “This is J16. We are approaching for an emergency landing. Clear the runway.” A new voice answered clearly puzzled “Wait up! Who is this?” Losing the little patience I had left I shouted into the microphone “Just do as I say, would ya?!  Shedding altitude I lowered the landing gear and grate fully landed on the runway.

Expecting to hear more gunshots from the angry hijackers, I was awestruck once again as I heard triumphant chants from the cabin as well as joyful cries. As I opened the door I was greeted with applause from everyone and a tight hug from Jane.

“Wait honey where are the hijackers.” I asked her visibly perplexed. “Oh, we fought them off” she responded. “What, you fought them off, where did you put them and is anyone hurt?”  As I blasted questions at her she simply said “Hush George, you saved us that’s what’s important.

And yes, the Captain was shot on his arm and someone has already called an ambulance.” As she went on, I felt myself getting weaker and weaker and I faintly said “You better call two” as I lost power and passed out in her arms.

The next thing I knew, I was on a hospital bed, in the recovery room. The first face I saw was my wife’s of course. “I see my hero is finally awake” she said and continued “before you say anything, I have a surprise. Close your eyes” I complied and when I opened them up again I was indeed surprised when I saw her handing me a medal.
“This is the Medal Of Bravery from the Government and its their appreciation for risking your life to save others.” The words she said after that were nothing to me as my focus shifted to the reward that was now in my hands.

The reward that I earned when we were 36000ft from safety………