Chapter 3 - The Lost Child

Shinobu stared into her mirror. Dressed up in black attire with an equally glum look on her face. She struggled to hold back tears and keep strong in the face of the events that had occured. In no less than 40 minutes, the memorial service for Giyuu Tomioka would begin. All of the pillars, as well as people who were close to him, would attend to say their prayers to the fallen slayer. Despite usually bring in control of how she displayed herself, the pain of yet another loss certainly took it's toll on the Insect Pillar. And even among the many losses she had endured, this was one of the worst.

She managed to find the motivation to make her way to the next room to see Kanao. Dressed in a similar, perhaps slightly more feminine attire. She had a much more limited reaction with him so she was able to hold herself together pretty well. At least, much better than Shinobu was. She walked over to her and started to do her hair. Styling it in a relatively formal, flower shaped bun. Once her Tsuguko was ready, the two left to join Aoi and the others who were all ready and began walking to the garden where the service would be held.

Once they had arrived, Shinobu left the younger ones with Tanjirou's group who had stayed in the estate not too long prior before joining the rest of the pillars. She sat beside Mitsuri, who was bawling her eyes out with Iguro next to her, trying his best to comfort her. Though she had not known him all that well, it was understandable considering her emotional state. Her close friend and mentor, Kyojuro Rengoku had passed no longer than a month before. An event that shook her to her core and those emotions had resurfaced today. She had exhausted about nearly half a tissue box mourning over the loss of her comrade. An activity she had done in abundance during the last week or so. She had forgotten how long it had been since that mission. Time was blurry to her, similarly to how it was when her sister had passed.

To her left, Gyomei Himejima and Muichiro Tokito approached them and say beside her. Both kept a solemn silence looking down. The younger of the two twiddled his thumbs before looking back up in his usual position. Spacing out as he naturally would. The Stone Pillar had his palms held together. Mumbling prayers under his breathe for the fallen. Tengen was already sat in the front row with his three wives. He was surprisingly more quiet than usual. Less flashy or chatty. Even considering this was a funeral, it wasn't like him. She supposed 2 back to back deaths amongst the pillars certainly set back everyone mentally.

All of a sudden, she could hear shouting coming from far away around the Ubuyashiki Estate. No doubt, it was the loud, husky voice of the Wind Pillar, Sanemi Shinazugawa, who had gotten into a spout with some Kakushi. She listened in slightly, the subject of said argument not being anything of note. It was a lashing sprouted from something very minor, likely amplified by the pillars heightened emotions. It seems that everyone was on edge today. Despite further approaching the garden, he didn't cease to stop his berating. Not even so much as acknowledging the tear jerking, emotional faces of the pillars, Tanjirou and his friends, as well as everyone who was attending. Yet still, no one bothered to challenge him or attempt to calm him down or make him act more respectful. They all just waited in silence for Sanemi to stop. Which he didn't. Not until he was halted by the presence of their leader.

"Sanemi, please... calm down. I know you're upset. It's been a tough month for all of us. To lose 2 children so tragically has but an emotional strain on me just as much as it has all of you. But now, all we can do is remember those who gave their lives for our cause, and carry their will with you on your future endeavours." And with those words from the great Oyakata-sama, the Wind Pillar froze, silenced himself, and sat down with the rest of the pillars. And with that, the blind man was guided to the podium at front, adjusting himself to his surroundings. He sighed letting out small smile. One full of sadness and sorrow at the loss of one of his children. He slowly brought his head up, and began delivering his speech.