Chapter Three: Opacity

Moving back into my room, I did my best to keep my head on straight as I got dressed for the day. 

The clothes in my dresser drawers only further confirmed there was something really weird happening. I never wore stuff this bright, or lacey. Still, if I was going to figure out what the hell was going on I had to dress the part I'd been assigned. As I pulled on the pink blouse and white jeans (which are definitely going to stain), I tried to reasonably deduct what was happening but I couldn't think of a damn thing that made sense. 

If the Minds truly put us here, they would've communicated that with us. The past three months they had kept a super open line of communication. Then there was the issue of Titan, but he wouldn't have stuck me in a space where I had no idea what was going on. That seriously inconvenienced him last time. This didn't make sense. There had to be a third-party variable or a piece of information I was missing and I was hell-bent on finding it. 

After school of course.

Daring to leave the room again, feeling like a poster girl for a real-life barbie movie, I slung a backpack I had dumped my school supplies out of and filled with the camera and anything that could be used as a weapon later. Trying to keep my breathing steady, I made my way slowly downstairs. The living room and kitchen area was an open floor plan, with lots of light and I felt incredibly exposed as I made a dash for the front door.

By the time I made it out into the driveway though, I realized I had no plan of action. I didn't know where the bus was, the school, or a car if I--

"You can't get very far without these Abby."

Whipping around I saw a girl with red hair standing on the porch dangling car keys.

Instantly, I felt a deep stab of recognition as she walked down the steps towards me. 

I had no idea how, or where, but I've definitely seen her before. It was the sort of dejavu that made you suddenly feel emotional and the onset of them made me shift uncomfortably. That swell of emotion though quickly became anger when she put the keys in my hand and spoke again. 

"The least you can do before bailing out on giving me a ride to school is say, hey Naomi, the bus is about the leave! Mom would've been pissed if--" 

Dropping my backpack, I immediately grabbed the girl by the straps of hers and shook her. "Your name isn't Naomi! Naomi is--" I started to shout, but before I finished my outburst of rage, I pulled it back with a shaky breath. If this girl wasn't an android, then there was a very good chance she had no idea what was going on and it'd be wrong of me to take it out of her. "Your name isn't Naomi, your name is dumbass for keeping me waiting." I finished, hoping that weak cover was good enough as I pushed her away from me and picked up my backpack. 

Stumbling back, she raised an eyebrow. Seemingly unphased by the outburst, she took the keys from me. "You really need to take your medicine. I better drive," she said, walking over to the beat-up green car. "Come on, I don't want to be late for the first day of school," she said in a tight voice as she slid into the driver's seat and started the engine. 

Medicine? 

What? 

Licking my lips, I took a couple more shaky breaths before sliding into the passenger seat and resting the backpack on my knees. At first, I contemplated being silent but decided it'd be better to pretend I cared that I almost ripped her apart. "I'm sorry, I went to a party last night and I think I took something that's fucking with my head." I apologized. Obviously, I didn't believe that, I was just trying to keep the peace so I could figure out what was going on undetected. 

"It's okay, I get it. I just haven't seen your mood get that bad in a hot minute," she said, starting the radio as she backed out of the driveway. Some old rock station was playing. "I don't blame you for not wanting to take your meds though, they make you so groggy." 

"Yeah, they do," I muttered, still completely unsure what she was talking about. I had to pretend I did though because I had a bad feeling that I wasn't supposed to know that I wasn't supposed to be here. "Are you nervous about the new school?" I asked, hoping to make some casual conversation. 

"New school?" She snorted. "I wish we were in a new school. God, I'd give anything to never see those assholes again." She glanced towards me then as she pulled out of the neighborhood. "Speaking of which, have you seen my camera? I think I left it in your room yesterday." 

"Your camera?" 

The camera wasn't mine? 

What? 

Holding my backpack closer I shook my head. "No, I haven't seen it." I lied. 

"Well, we better find it before tomorrow because I want to get some pictures of you on stage?" 

Instantly, my eyes widened as I looked over at her. "On stage?" I squeaked. 

"Yeah, weirdo, for the musical tomorrow," leaning over then, she pressed her hand to the back of my head. "You okay dude? You're acting really weird." 

Swallowing thickly, I gave her a weak smile. 

"Never better. Just super wiped out from the party last night," I said as I looked out the window at the scenery passing by us as she drove towards the school.

I had to find out what was going on as soon as possible.

Preferably before I had to get on that stage. 

===========================================================================

Hey there guys! 

I know there was a massive delay on this story, but I'm finally updating it again. I had started it last year with the intention of finishing it, however, writer's block swept me off my feet among other things and I had to put it on hold. 

I have plenty of ideas for this book now though and I'm super excited to write the second installment of the Android series for you guys. 

So, what do you think is going on? Is Titan behind this? 

Thank you for your support, 

River.