Chapter 5

Her eyes flutter open well after sunrise. For a while she just lays there, feeling so comfortable that she doesn't dare move.

To her delight, Hannah is still there beside her. As she glances over at her love there is an excitement that wells up in her chest. She wishes this is how she could wake up every morning.

Finally, Hannah wakes up. At first, Sarah worries that the girl might get startled from waking up in someone else's bed, and at first there is a look of concern on her face. But when their eyes meet and they give each other a sleepy smile, she knows that she is safe here.

" Good morning," Sarah says as Hannah props up and stretches her arms. " Did you get enough rest?"

" I suppose so," Hannah replies as she yawns and cuddles up closely to Sarah. " But I would like to stay here for a bit longer."

" Me too."

Sarah buries her face into the long blonde hair and begins running her fingers through it. She plants a kiss on her forehead and Hannah hums with delight.

A few minutes later, Sarah begrudgingly forces herself out of bed. Her hand is interlaced with Hannah's, who gently tugs her back.

" Don't go," she says and it sounds more like a command than a request.

" We have to get you home, Hannah. Your mother and father will be looking for you soon, and you don't want them to find you here."

" Oh..." and a shadow comes across her face as she remembers that this was never going to last for long. This would be the last time she woke up next to Sarah Fier, no matter how much she prayed that it would just be the first of many times.

From downstairs comes the sound of the front door flinging open with urgency. The sound of the quick footsteps tells Sarah immediately that it is her brother, Henry.

" Sarah!" he calls for her. " Sarah Fier!"

" I'm in the loft!" she yells back down to him and then takes her voice to a whisper as she speaks with Hannah. " I'll be back for you, alright?"

Hannah nods and watches as Sarah climbs the wooden ladder to the floor of the house.

" What is it, Henry?" she asks the boy, who is already sweaty from being outside.

" You've laid up in bed for half the morning," he says a little passive aggressively. " I've done all of your chores for you so Father won't be mad. You're already in enough trouble as it is."

" What do you mean?"

" I know Pastor Miller's daughter's up there. And I also know that you snuck away last night."

" Henry, I-"

" But that's not why I came looking for you."

Henry nods in the direction of the loft and Sarah glances back to see Hannah looking down at them.

" You better bring her along."

                                         ********

They walk out into an overcast day. It looks ready to rain but the ground is still dry as a bone.

Townspeople are gathered in the middle of the square, near the water well. They are in a tight circle, as if they're trying to prevent something from getting out.

As the three of them get closer, they begin to peek over the shoulders of tall men. When Sarah stands on her tiptoes she can almost see what's going on.

Elijah Goode is standing in the middle of the circle of people. On the ground is an older looking woman, with her face looking down at the ground and back arched in a defensive huddle. Her sobs can be heard even over the loud mumbling of the townspeople. Finally, Elijah speaks.

" Last night, our men went searching in the woods after one of them believed there to be something lurking there. A darkness, if you will." he says with a voice full of hatred and spite.

Sarah looks to her right and sees Isaac, Lizzie, and Abigail standing with their parents. They all have the same nervous expression on their face. With their hearts pounding, they continue listening.

" And we found the darkness." Elijah Goode now directs his anger at the woman crying on the ground. " My dear neighbors, the devil has come to Union."

                                           *******
A/N: I'm so sorry that it's taken this long to write this :/ School has been very tough lately and the first month isn't even over. As always, though, I appreciate all of the reads and comments that I'm getting and I hope that you enjoyed this chapter 💜