Check Up (rewritten)

...After the bathroom incident Sal now frequently checks up on Travis and attempts to strike up conversation. This effects them both in a way they never expected.
Travis is deathly afraid of change, but part of him can't help but let it happen.

3rd person

Sal's eyes open slowly as he lays in his bed and looks around to be met with darkness. Ugh, typical but not ideal. He sits up to turn his head and read the alarm clock, barely after 3 am. He rolls his eye and reaches over to pet his cat on the sheets beside him.

Gizmo gives a chirp and stretches in response, it doesn't fail to make Sal smile. He crosses his legs and lets gizmo lay in his lap. He may be exhausted, but the good part about being awake so early is having time to yourself and your thoughts.

He was deciding whether he wanted to get ready now or wait until 5, and thinking about that reminds him somehow of Travis. Right, because he has to see him again, just like every other day. His first instinct is to dread seeing his face, then an eagerness takes its place.

Sal finds that new feeling off putting. Not that it was a bad thing, it's just... out of the norm for him. He got used to the need to turn away and hide from him, he's not used to the urge to now seek him out.
Actually, he wasn't used to that feeling with any of his perpetrators. Well, none of them cared to make amends, so it makes some sense.

He supposed it was a good thing.
For one, he doesn't think he has to expect his aggression now, that's always good. Second, he hopes he could get closer to him, find out the whole of who he is and give him a friend, and maybe it would be worthwhile. That heart-to-heart talk had intrigued Sal, and he feels somewhat invested.

Travis was adamant on not needing friends though, and still claims to have plenty. Sal quietly chuckles remembering it, but to be fair, he does seem to operate alone purposefully.

He seeks out tables with the least amount of people and asks to do group projects by himself, and if he has to be placed with someone, he goes out of his way to either take on most of the work or make the decisions for who does what.

So maybe he's not lying, but if he's not, then the friends he does have probably aren't that great. Why would he avoid them otherwise? Well, unless he was the common denominator, that wouldn't be shocking.

Sal does worry for him, especially now with the little information he's been given.
"You have no idea what it's like."
He didn't even deny it.

He was right, Sal had nothing to work with other than stereotypes, and those obviously aren't to be completely relied on. That's the part that worries him most, that he really doesn't know, and it could've been anything. All he knew was what he hoped it wasn't.

He takes a quick glance at the clock again. Unfortunately, it barely budged. Ugh. He lays himself back down and pats his chest to coax Gizmo up, the cat made a purring fluffy loaf. He'll deal with his thoughts when he gets up. For now he switches between thinking, napping, and petting to pass the time.

Travis finds his place and kneels on the floor by his bedside, rosary in hands. He holds the cross in one and the beads in the other, reciting his prayers like clockwork, repeating them through each bead. Three times he goes through the beads for each part of the Holy Trinity, and then he stops.

A sharp nausea sets in his gut when he ended it, he felt he didn't do enough. His soul is heavy with sin that he still felt from the day prior, even after his seven rounds of prayer that night. He goes through the beads again, this time for mother Mary. He finishes and the weight is still burdening, he went through them one more time.