𝟶𝟷. 𝙿𝚑𝚘𝚝𝚘𝚐𝚛𝚊𝚙𝚑

November 17, 1965
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Last night, sleep renewed into a foreign topic I couldn't comprehend

Last night, sleep renewed into a foreign topic I couldn't comprehend. Draining each ounce of energy I possessed as if it was unheard of, or full of lies. My senses became uncontrollable. Not literally, but in a form. Where lethargic swings toppled over my every emotion.

Unable to focus, I closed the local library's copy of 'Romeo and Juliet', shoving it off to the left-hand corner of the metal, wooden desk. Pulling out a yellow composition notebook as a replacement.

People, my classmates, filed in. Pushing eachother as they raced to the doorway. I'm not fond of any of my classmates. Although, there is someone.

His name is Ponyboy, and yes, that is his real name. As he likes to say, "it's even on my birth certificate," to the point where it's brought up so often, that it's engraved in my mind.

My mind sped up each thought as class continued in an ongoing chatter waiting to begin. The bell rang as Mr. Lansdale, our teacher, entered the room.

"Settle down everyone," the english teacher resoundingly stated. Acquiring the attention of the exhausted and newly upset students.

He rambled on about multiple books and future work we'd be assigned. Meanwhile, I'd been distracted by a few boys nearly prancing around the back. They're all greasers, a term defined as poor and unhygienic.

In Tulsa there are three social stances you can be born-- or moved-- into, depending on if you grew up here or not. Greaser, soc, and middle class, which oddly enough doesn't have a specific name. Additionally, two of the social crowds participate in rumbles. Which are commonly large fights between the north and south side. Greaser and soc territories.

Greasers, as brought up a second ago, aren't wealthy. They wear grease in their hair with leather or jean jackets on the north side of town. As the stereotypes say, they hit on girls otherwise known as broads, and have extensive, lengthy criminal records.

The head of them as I like to call it, is Dallas Winston. He's an asshole who fits right in with the stereotypes; disregarding his well kept hair. He hangs around the Curtis brothers-- Ponyboy and his two older brothers-- staying at Buck Merril's house and bar far north towards the outskirts of Tulsa.

Middle class is just as it sounds, as well as what I am. They have money, but not nearly enough to buy fancy cars or unnessacary items as they please. They dress like anyone outside of here would, with beautiful dresses and neatly ironed shirts you'd purhase at any clothing store nearby; living beside traintracks splitting the north, and south sides of town.

I wouldn't say they have an exact leader, as they're mostly left out on a regular basis.

Last but not least, socs. Soc is short for social, the name of their social class. They have cash that goes on for miles with their Mustangs, and Madras printed shirts. All of them live on the south side, giving them the name 'south side socs.' They're ruthless, jumping greasers for no apparent reasoning. They're cleaned up, proper, and pristine as anyone seems to presume. Favored in town they get away with almost everything. It's simply vacuous.