CHAPTER SIX. Findum, Fuckum, and Flee

CHAPTER SIXFINDUM, FUCKUM, AND FLEE

CHAPTER SIX
FINDUM, FUCKUM, AND FLEE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and
human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the
universe."

The power had been out for 4 hours. The Louisiana heat had conquered the usage of air conditioning, short-circuiting the transmission lines. Families had advanced outside of their homes; children in their swimsuits as their parents held their bags and towels over their shoulders.

Children ran ahead as their parents trudged behind; the moms gossiping as the father listened absent-mindedly, still interested.

"I heard that Aisha's leavin' him for the boy from the liquor store," Minnie said.

"Nah, no way. I heard from Lottie that she saw him leaving Jeremiah's apartment early this morning" Bonnie said, licking the juice-stained wooden stick of a popsicle.

The group had paused as Bonnie continued to walk forward. She looked next to her, losing sight of her husband as she turned around to look at them.

"What?"

"Jeremiah Fontenot? Ozzy's kid?" Minnie asked.

Bonnie nods slightly, confused. "Yeah, the one with the dreads."

The group looks at each other with wide eyes. Even Bonnie's husband looking surprised with his eyebrows raised.

"He's gay?" Jay asked, pulling the ends of the towel back and forth on his neck.

"I think? Is he not?" Bonnie asked. She wrapped her arm around her husband's waist, her head leaning towards his shoulder.

Tommy walked parallel from them on the sidewalk, carrying a tub of ice bags, Ms. Thibodeaux walking behind him with a walker.

Jay spotted him, engaged in a conversation with her. He must've made an awkward joke as she laughed, hitting his shoulder with her hand. Tommy shuffled along, readjusting his grip on the handles of the tub.

"Hey, Tommy!" Jay called. Tommy looked over, squinting as the light hit the side of his cheek.

"What?"

"You're gay right?" He asked.

Tommy stopped, confused. "What?"

"Don't you have a gaydar or somethin'?" He asked. Minnie hit his shoulder with her hand, giving him a chiding expression.

"That ain't how you start a conversation, Jay," Tommy says in disproval.

Jay rolls his eyes, throwing his hands up in a careless manner. "Do you know if Jeremiah Fontenot's gay?"