Fifth

WARNING: May be mentions of abuse, panic attacks, trauma, blood, etc. If you are sensitive to these topics, please don't read.

Bryce POV:

  Nothing happened over the past couple of weeks. It's been hard on Mindy and Alex. Both of them have been having recurring nightmares of their ex-foster parents. Mattheo, Micah, Lia, and Jane have been trying to stay strong for the siblings.

"Their health is our top priority," Lia said to Mattheo, Micah, Jane, and me.

And as for me, I'm trying not to show any of my fear. I'm the oldest and with something like this happening, I need to be the most responsible. I can't joke around and let my guard down.

"Bryce?"

I turned. Alex was at the door. He looked miserable.

"Come in."

He sat on the corner of my bed. I walked toward him.

"Can I tell you something? Will you tell it to Lia?"

I was taken aback.

"If it's something about your health, I'll tell her. If it's personal, you decide."

He nodded.

"I've been having panic attacks. They've been happening since the . . . pizza incident. I have nightmares about my foster parents beating me and then I feel like I can't breath. I feel like I'm going to die. I wake up and am covered in sweat and shaking. It stops after some time but happens a lot."

"Alex, this is serious."

"I know. I just don't know how to tell Lia. Whenever I try, I end up panicking and not telling her."

"What if I told her?"

"I'd be fine with that."

"Do you want me to tell her now?"

"Anytime is fine."

"The sooner the better. She's downstairs. I'll tell her."

We both went downstairs and found the others relaxing on the couch. Alex went up to Lia and hugged her. 

"You're in a sweet mood," she said. Alex looked at me. Lia did too. "Something you need to share with me?"

"Alex wanted me to tell you this. Whenever he tries saying it, he ends up panicking and not telling you. He wants to but it's hard for him."

Lia looked concerned.

"Is it serious?"

"Yes. I don't know why or when or how but I just know what he told me."

"Which is?"

"He has panic attacks. That's the reason he doesn't want to sleep."

Lia POV:

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard. Who wouldn't if they found out their boyfriend has panic attacks?

"Lia, you don't have to follow me around everywhere."

"I'm just worried . . . "

"I'll have a panic attack? I won't. I only have them at night."

"What if . . . "

"Nothing will happen to me."

"I should just follow . . . "

"Lia, I need to use the restroom. Please leave me alone."

Okay, I went way overboard. I'm just worried something will happen to him and I won't be there. I know he'll call me if he needs to but I can't help but worry if he won't call me in time. I was chilling in my room when someone knocked on the door.

"Lia, can I talk to you?"

It was Mattheo.

"Sure. What about?"

"Alex."

"Not again."

Everyone's been telling me to stop worrying about Alex and that I was acting crazy. I told them to mind their own business but, as always, they don't listen.

"It won't be a boring conversation."

"Okay. Come in."

He sat on my bed and I joined him.

"I knew Alex when we were younger. He never liked someone babying him. He wanted to be loved, yes, but he also wanted to have space to grow and learn new things. He told me he loves that you take care of him and treat him kindly but your overprotectiveness is a little too much for him. You can still be protective of him but not as much as you are now."

"I know. I should ask him how he feels about all this. Is he downstairs?"

"Yep."

I went downstairs and sat next to Alex. He was finishing an essay due tomorrow.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For being overprotective. I'm just worried you'll call me too late if you're ever in trouble."

He looked at me.

"Even if I do, you always find a way to know if I'm in trouble."

I smiled. He hugged me and I hugged him.

"I wish we could stay like this forever."