three.

CHAPTER THREE
The Surface 
❝She'll punch you if you don't stop talking about her like she's not here.❞

THE BLONDE TOOK in a deep breath of fresh air after she'd climbed out of the bunker hatch, Joel following just behind her

THE BLONDE TOOK in a deep breath of fresh air after she'd climbed out of the bunker hatch, Joel following just behind her. She'd been outside a few times before with the group when they needed to scavenge supplies, but she hadn't had the chance to take in her surroundings then.

After only seven years, nature had taken back almost everything, with no humans to cause any deforestation. The field and the trees seemed to stretch for miles and miles, the grass was almost up to her shoulders. It certainly was a big change from the stuffy bunker.

Joel looked around with wide eyes as he shut the hatch behind them and whipped out the map he'd been given, looking for a sign where to go, "Where are we?"

It wasn't really a traditional map, it only had notes in areas, marking roughly where other colonies, signs of life and dangers might be. 

Joel looked at the map with a disgruntled expression, "Well, it's not super useful." He glanced up and noticed Tess waiting impatiently with her hands on her hips. He quickly folded the map and put it away in his jacket, "Okay, well, you know what? We know we gotta head west. Right? So let's just....do that. Start with something easy. West."

Tess rolled her eyes as he walked away on the left and then changed his mind and walked to the right, "Wrong way, Dipshit. West is this way." She began trekking away from him and he quickly and clumsily caught up with her.

The blonde unsheathed her crossbow as they reached a residential area, just in case. There could've been a monster hiding around any corner and she'd be their only defense.

Joel bent down and picked up and old red Frisbee. Her ears perked up at the sound of a creature chirping close by and she nudged Joel, "Go, hide in the house."

"Hide in the house. Hide in the house." Joel repeated nervously, fretfully looking into the trees as he and Tess albeit ran into the closest house.

The first thing he did was look in the fridge, immediately slamming it shut when a monster screeched at him. Tess groaned in annoyance and pushed past him to get into the back garden. Her guard was immediately up when she heard a bubbling noise come from the pool that was green with algae and she pointed her crossbow at it.

Joel stood transfixed as a giant frog monster immerged from the pool, he began reaching for his crossbow but he was frozen in fear.

"Move, Dawson!" Tess managed to push him out of the way before the frog monster's tongue could grab him. And to her surprise, a dog tackled her down before the monster could get her as well.

The dog barked at the monster, and Joel tried to make a run for it, but the frog's tongue latched onto his leg and began to pull him across the floor, wanting to eat him. Joel tried to grab onto anything he could find, the ground, a fallen tree trunk, but he was still being dragged. The dog bit onto the elongated tongue while Tess loaded an arrow into her crossbow, aiming for one of the monster's eyes and she pulled the trigger.