chapter sixty-three

season two ; episode six { My Druthers }
chapter sixty-three

HEYWARD HAD ALWAYS BEEN SUCH A LEGENDARY FIGURE TO BROOKLYN

HEYWARD HAD ALWAYS BEEN SUCH A LEGENDARY FIGURE TO BROOKLYN. She was always looking up him, always admiring the way he fathers, the way he acts and does what he does. Brooklyn can see that he loves Pope, loves Pope more than he loves anyone on this goddamn planet and Brooklyn adores that. She sees him as a father figure. He was there for her the night John B and Sarah were lost at sea, he opened his arms out to her and JJ.

During the first few weeks of John B's "death" he was there for her a lot. She would often stop by Pope's house to stay overnight or to have someone to talk to. He fed her, made sure she was keeping herself distracted and was healthy, he wanted to see if she was safe and not in any harm. He let her stay at his place for countless nights that Brooklyn couldn't even make it up to Pope even if she tried.

She wanted to help him in a way that he helped her and that was by cleaning the damage that had been done to his head. "Let me know if I'm hurting you," she says, lifting the plaster up over the wound.

"You're doing fine," Heyward groaned just as she laid out the plaster across it. "Thank you, darlin'."

"Of course," she replied, a smile on her face.

"Pop, what happened?" Pope asked once Brooklyn had stepped away.

"Oh, I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that... that... that key from that... that drawing you showed me," he told Pope who looked up at his friends. "And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing," he peered over his shoulder at Brooklyn who shot him a smile. "Now did you track it down?"

Pope pulled out the key from his back pocket and handed it over to his father. "I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment above the pharmacy just like you said."

"Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating," Heyward says, facing his son. "What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why do they want it so bad?"

"I don't know. First, I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet a rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family," Pope told the story how he knew it, how everybody else knew it.

"None of it makes any sense."

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it. Figure it out!" Heyward snapped at them which brought another smile out of Brooklyn.

One of the things that Brooklyn loved about Heyward was that he always wanted the best for everyone, he always wanted people to fight for what they want to fight for and for what they believe in. He always wanted Pope to be a fighter, for Brooklyn to be a fighter and if Brooklyn knew Pope like she knew Pope, she knew he never stepped down from a challenge.