ONE

1969

"You always like getting in trouble right? We should have taken another route home, if we did you would not have stopped"

"Tell me Pea, tell me, do you not admire those delicious ripe mangoes. I have been admiring them ever since it's season began, for a while now, each time I pass. Yes, I have been warned but I just cannot leave without having a taste, you know Mangoes are my favorite fruits. Besides no one is even around to tell on me, except any of you decide to tell on me"

"Epek, let's go, Elder Nkundi can show up anytime now, we have to go now! You know he has a new machine, they call it a gun. He could use it on us...and I heard it kills instantly. Please let's leave"

Binti looked at the boys with a weary look. She was tired. "Please can you boys decide what's happening and let's leave. Epek, if you want to get the fruits be quick with it". Pea tried to protest once more but he's jolly good friend was already half way up the tree.
As Epek's face lit up more with every fruit he plucked, Pea's agitation grew as he watched out for Elder Nkundi.

Binti was silent watching everything. She was too tired to speak from all the work at home. Yes, the work given to a ten year old girl in Great Beji Community was twice as much as the ones given to even the strong youthful men!
She had slept very late the night before but still decided to go play with her two best friends. It was the only break time she had.

Epek had plucked so many mangoes he had to use he's top to wrap them and put them together. He was getting ready to climb down, when they suddenly heard footsteps. They were getting closer.

"Epek, pss, Epek! Someone is coming" Pea tried to whisper and shout at the same time, right before he jumped behind a near by berry bush. Binti had hidden right before he did.

Epek froze in the trees, he tried to hide behind the branches hoping the leaves will hide his full body at the same time, allow him see who was coming.

Two figures came out towards the tree. It was Elder Nkundi and Elder Osau. Luckily, they hadn't seen any of the children. They were too engrossed in their chit chat. Epek tried to listen closely.

"...and Osau, we have never had this kind of thing in our community before. I don't trust these strangers that keep promising us a better life"

Epek could hear Elder Nkundi's voice say. He listened more.

"Nkundi! You worry way too much"
Osau let out a gentle laugh before he continued.
"You always think the worst of people even when you are just meeting them for the very first time. Nkundi, these people look like us and just want the best for the community. Do you know all the good the changes they promised will do?
Our lives will be changed forever, we won't be a small community anymore, numerous people from around the world will want to live with us. You know I am one of the most literate people in this place, so I understand these people even more. Plus, The Neje community are even more envious of us. Do you know how privileged we are? Our community was selected among all others. I say we just grab this opportunity with open arms."

Nkundi was at the verge of being convinced by Osau but he still had to say

"We still need to be careful, all that glitters is not gold, it might be a..."

There was a sound

"Osau did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Shhh"

Elder Nkundi silenced Osau with his fingers to his lips. He walked back slowly to get his gun. He pointed it straight at his mango tree.

"Who is that?? You better come down right now. Don't you dare try to play smart with me. Show your face!"

Epek knew he had been caught. He opened up the branches with one hand, holding on to the mangoes with the other hand.
Elder Nkundi bowed and nodded his head.

"This boy!"

"Epek what are you doing here?"

Elder Osau asked and immediately Elder Nkundi answered

"This boy is always, taking things from my farms and gardens."

He turned to Epek

"Get down! Now boy! Your Mother will hear about this"

----------------------------------------------

2018

The ride seemed a little longer than she expected.

He could feel the tensed atmosphere. He decided to break the ice.

"I love the way you packed your hair. It's perfect. Says ' Hey, I'm totally awesome and you should be my friend ' . "

She kept looking out the window.

"Ekwami, I heard this school is the best in all the town, you are going to love it, don't you worry. They have students from all around the world so fitting in is going to be easy, you know..."

Ekwami tuned off. This was becoming a ritual, so she knew all her dad was going to say all through the ride to school. She was always excited at the chance of a new environment, loved mystery and adventure, all the books she reads about. But some years ago her enthusiasm suddenly died down. She was now getting tired of it all.

Sigh

Looking outside, some unusual things caught her eyes. The enormous empty spaces between houses. It looked like some houses were missing. Sometimes the space was twice the size. Then after a while she saw cluster that looked like a construction site, but then it looked like a heap of rubbish. She looked closely. It was a collapsed building. She did a bit of research on this town, even though she wasn't so happy doing it, this town was a very developed place. Things were done perfectly well with the best materials. Except her research was wrong.

Ekwami

Ekwami!

"Ekwami! Where is your mind at"
She couldn't help it, her mind was always working.

"Sorry Dad, what were you saying?"

"Look Ami, I know this is harder on you, but if anyone can handle and adjust great it's you"

Not when you have to do it again and again so soon

"You will get there and be the best you can be!"

He lowered his voice like he realized he's been shouting.

"I love you sugar plum. Your Mom does too, and you know she's with you wherever you go"

******************

Hey Y'all :)

Vote!!!

Comment!!!

Share!!!!