EIGHT

---

---

THE REST OF winter melted away as quick as it had came. In its place muted pink, fiery red, and mulberry purple flowers sprung up from the swaying green grasses, decorating the hills and fields with little speckles of vibrancy. The forests regained their leaves, and soon their naked and twisted branches were covered in vibrant greens and pale yellows. The gardens were cleared of the dead and bare plants, and old and new sprouts alike were tended to with the utmost care and diligence. And as the weather warmed, the girls were more than happy to ditch their extra wool layers and cloaks as they ventured out into forest for spontaneous picnics and playtime games.

And just as springtime had proved to be a new beginning for the earth, it was also proving to be one for Meg March.

Her friend, Annie Moffat, had invited her to a debutante ball in Boston, and Meg had been delighted to accept. The Marches and Charlotte had been thrown into a whirlwind of frocks and gloves and dancing shoes for the past two weeks, and it seemed to reach its high point as they gathered in front of the Laurence's house, waiting to wish Meg good luck and goodbye.

"Hurry up you two! Meg is going to be gone for a week!" Amy called to Laurie and Jo who pretending to box, dodging each other's weak punches and crying out in feigned pain as a fist tapped a shoulder or softly collided with their stomachs.

"Coming!" Laurie yelled back, ruffling Jo's curly hair and racing off before she could retaliate.

"And don't forget to tell us everything. I mean it." Charlotte grinned as Meg promised to write down every detail of her day so she wouldn't forget. "And-"

"Hello." Laurie skidded to a stop beside Charlotte, interrupting her conversation with Meg. Charlotte knocked her fist against his side as he placed his arm over her shoulders and hugged her close.

Marmee pulled Meg away from Charlotte and Laurie who were now bickering about some nonsensical thing, and offered her a calming hug and kiss. Charlotte jumped to the tops of her toes and tousled Laurie's hair as a last resort to her losing their childish argument. Laurie swat at her hands away and grabbed her wrist, but she just tapped his nose and slipped out of his grip.

Jo let out a cry as she jumped on their backs, nearly bringing them all down to the ground.

"Jo!" Charlotte said with a hint of laughter once she was sure she wouldn't fall down, "must you always be so rambunctious?"

"Yes, it's my job." Jo nodded her head childishly. Jo pointed a commanding finger at Laurie. "You take the other carriage and surprise Meg. Make sure she doesn't fall in love!"

Laurie answered with a salute and a resounding, "yes, Captain Jo!"

Charlotte scrunched up her nose at Laurie as soon as Jo walked away to join Meg and Marmee beside the carriage. "Come on now, surely you're not serious?"