one | monster

"You saw it, Scamander! You saw what he did!"

_______

Trigger Warning: Blood, Aftermath of Violence

       The dark red against the dirty snow was a sickly sight to see, but it had nothing on the two mangled bodies of children that lay not far away. The two boys, each about ten years old, were hardly recognizable. Whatever had attacked them had not just killed them - it had torn them to shreds.

       The man's stomach felt uneasy as he stood from where he was crouched beside the bodies. In his job, he'd seen things like this several times before, but this had to have been the most bloody. With a shudder, he turned away from the bodies and caught sight of something that until then had been overlooked - a single bloody footprint in the snow. Only, it wasn't human.

       Taking a deep breath, the man turned from the scene entirely, ducking under the caution tape to join his partner.

       "It was Mrs. Randall, there, that found them," a uniformed police officer told his partner as he approached them. They all looked in the direction of the nearest house, where a plump woman was standing on her back porch, her horrified eyes still fixed on the bodies. "Will you be needing to speak with her as well?"

       "No," answered the partner. "I think we'll be alright with what you've told us already."

       "Anything else I can do to help, let me know," the policeman said with a solemn bow of his head.

       "Before you go," the man intervened, stopping the officer before he could walk away. "I did have one question."

       The officer looked cautiously from the man to his partner, then back. "Of course, Mr. - uh - "

       "Scamander."

       The officer's confusion only grew. "Mr. Scamander."

       "Was there anyone around," started Mr. Scamander, "anyone suspicious reported within the last couple of days?"

       As he said this, his partner's face slacked with the sudden realization, but the officer looked more astounded than ever. "No way could a person do this!" he exclaimed. "This was a beast! I'm sure of it!"

       "Answer the question, Officer Roberts," Scamander's partner said, almost lazily.

       Officer Roberts looked extremely taken aback at this, as if he would've expected the man to be on his side instead of his partner's. He gaped at both of the men, and answered hesitantly. "There's been an uptick in the homeless population in this area, but they're mostly drunks or shell-shocked vets! None of them could've done this, I'll tell you that!"