chapter eighteen | can't be love

chapter eighteen

can't be love

The army of seagulls honking in the backyard, noise wafting in with the cool breeze through the open window was the best way I had been woken up in a very long time.

Still groggy, I peeled my eyes open, taking in my surroundings. For one, this definitely wasn't my guest bedroom, a pair of shiny silver handcuffs dangling form the headboard, forest green bedspread wrapped around my body.

A weight fell across my midsection, and when I saw the tanned arm draped over me, I smiled widely, lacing my fingers with those of the boy who was lying in bed next to me. He stirred slightly, half-lidded eyes staring at me in adoration when I turned to meet his gaze.

"Morning, beautiful." Tetsu smiled, gently pressing his lips to my forehead

"Morning, handsome." I said back with a grin, angling my head so that our lips met, the sheets re tangling themselves underneath us, and unfortunate occurrence after we had spent almost an hour earlier that morning straightening them out again after I had gotten tangled in the cotton so much that I fell on my face in an attempt to get to the shower in the dark.

"It's almost noon." I said gently, Tetsu's soft lips grazing the underside of my jaw. He hummed in acknowledgment but made no move to get out of the bed. "Don't we have stuff to do?" My mind wandered back to the notebook on my bedside table, all the secrets I still needed to uncover.

However, I didn't need to read the book right away, content here in Tetsu's arms.

"Yeah, each other." Tetsu joked, running one of his hands down my arm

"Very funny, Casanova." I laughed, kissing him again. When I pulled away, he chased my lips, desperate for the contact. "Go have a shower, I'm going to get dressed, then I'm going to go bake something."

"Or you could stay here?" The boy attempted to persuade me, gently wrapping his hand around my wrist.

Laughing, I shook my head. "Darling, I'm hungry and if you looked at the state of your hair in a mirror, you too would realise that you need a shower."

With a groan, Tetsu flopped back on the bed as I laughed, sidestepping out of the open doorway before cutting across to the guest bedroom so I could get dressed ( and find a chunky bracelet of some sort to cover up the handcuff indentations on my wrist ).

The world had a different color to it that morning, as I realized that I finally had something worth living for. So what if I put the metaphorical rose-colored glasses on that morning? The world already felt brighter as soon as those seagulls starting honking. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I danced into a pair of skinny jeans and pulled a lettuce-edged baby tee over my head, messily running a comb through my hair.