Chapter Five

Being homeless is a challenge at times, more times than not. Like right now. Liam is holding a nearly empty bottle of water and a half eaten sandwich. He had moved undercover and was trying to stay out of the biting weather to his left. He wished he was warmer or better yet, had a heater.

Liam had become quite the judge secretly. He had created a game with himself. Each person who wandered by, he tried to figure out their personality, or he would just judge them off their clothes. It challenge his brain. It started with people's shoes and soon became their full appearance. It entertained him and kept him occupied from the horrendous weather.

Liam had also found a new more recent hobby; reading the newspaper, he found out about the goverment, car laws, deaths. He always enjoyed reading the little sentiment notes in the back of the paper. The farewells and the welcomes. That had always been his favourite apart from the entertainment section. He got to see what was hot and what wasn't. What Emma Watson and Sam Smith wore to their award shows. He liked judging their makeup and clothing choices.

Getting his hands on a free paper was a challenge in itself. Until he found out a service stations papers got delivered early and left at the front door of the place. So now he took one each morning and it kept him occupied whilst he waited for potential buyers for this his things.

Liam was always open to trying new things to hopefully help him get a job or a place to live. He wasn't like most other homeless people, he didn't inject himself despite having been offered more times than he liked. He wanted to get off the street, he wanted to be warm, happy and earning money.

The day was slow, most people were staying indoors due to the horrible, cold weather, but Liam didn't mind nor did he have a choice. He'd only ever been welcomed inside once. In the middle of a storm that was ripping sheds off the ground and roofs off. The man with the corner shop let Liam shelter in there until it was all over.

Liam placed the sandwich and water into his bag, catching sight of the long thin needle and bottle that sat beside it. He couldn't remember how long ago, but he was given it by one of the younger homeless men. The little bottle contained a liquid that would kill you peacefully. Liam never had the guts to throw it out. He'd had days where he'd pull the empty needle out of his bag and study it before putting it back. One day he even took it out and filled it with the clean stuff, but never got to the vein on his wrist. He was too coward.

Liam knew the stuff was powerful and worked, he found the guy who gave it to him dead two days later, he wasn't harmed in anyway, just had a needle mark on his wrist and Liam fled the place before he could be charged. But he was well aware of the outcome. Liam just wasn't ready for that yet. He had wishes, dreams and goals he wanted to achieve, he wanted to be one of those few homeless people who got off the street and got a life. Liam had big dreams of being that person.

He closed his bag, tugging it under his legs, he then tugged his jacket closer around his shoulders, trying to stop the chattering of his teeth. He hunched forward slightly, trying to get as much body warmth as possible. His legs were cold, he could feel his toes and his fingers had gone numb. He hated the cold. He hated a lot of things and he didn't like that word; hate. He didn't know how somebody could hate something until this happened. He tugged his hair up into his beanie, pulling it down over his cold ears.

He wasn't to sure why he was the one who was given this life. He could of had it a lot easier but unfortunately this was his life, this was Liam's life.

Niall hated bad weather, but he needed some shopping and he had lost power and he also wanted to see Liam, he knew what the weather was like and despite everything Niall still wanted to give Liam the huge, woolen warm sweater he found, it no longer fitter him and it was going to a better course, somebody who would be grateful for it.

Niall wanted to take public transport but then he knew everybody else would be too, so he set off on foot. With five layers of warm clothing and two beanies. He was totally going to sit his drivers test now. He couldn't' stand this weather anymore. Better yet he could just run off to a country that was warm, like Australia.

When he finally saw Liam he grinned, this boy had made Niall come to terms without the outside world, this case was so much more interesting than his last. Of course that didn't mean he was glad he helped the other two lads but this was something so /different/ something out of his comfort zone and he loved a challenge.

Liam had his feet curled up underneath himself, leaning on his knees as he rearranged his things. Niall slipped down beside him, startling the older lad, his brown eyes filled with fear as he shot up onto his feet, hands clutching his heart and his lips ajar. Liam breathed out comfortably afterwards, once he'd figured out who it was. He slowly sunk back down onto his knees and watched Niall remove a few of the things. A book, key chain and a teddy bear with a hole in his arm. The blonde then gently slipped the warm sweater over Liam's head, arranging his layers accordingly so it was his tattered shirt, his sweater, jacket and then his waterproof rain sheet, the scarf around his neck securely and his hands now gloved. Niall couldn't stand staring at the skinny boys knuckles anymore.

Niall had noticed how prominent Liam's cheekbones were, and he instantly felt his heart strings tug. Liam needed so much help, he needed food, water, a clean place to sleep and Niall wished he could give it all to him right now. He wished he could bundle him up and take him home but he needed so many more answer from the fragile boy, he needed Liam to trust him and open up to him. He needed that at least.

"you look nice and warm now." Niall said happily, patting Liam's back lightly. Liam adverted his glance from the box to Niall's rosy red face.

"but now I don't look homeless anymore." Liam replied softly, barely audible and Niall nearly didn't hear it over the loud noises around them.

"isn't that a good thing?" He asked, if he was homeless he definitely wouldn't want to look it.

"if I don't look homeless, then people won't stop for me anymore." Liam whispered, resting his chin against his warm hands.

"people will still stop for you Liam, I promise." Niall assured, the thought had never crossed Niall's mind, he guessed Liam was right in some aspects, if you don't look homeless then people won't stop, but it could be the other way around too. There is so many people who wouldn't stop for Liam because he 'looked' homeless, he is more than likely to have one or two more people stop for him now because he 'doesn't' look homeless. He just looks like a regular young boy selling things on the side of the road.

"Thank you, for all of this." Liam finally replied after a good minute of silence, he is being genuine to, the look on Liam's face tells Niall he is more than grateful for what he's got, and he is.

Liam likes the feeling of being warm. It's different. It's nice but most of all it feels loving.

__________________________________

I hope you all enjoy this chapter, sorry it has taken me so long to get this out! I had been writing it in my notes on my phone so it took a little longer than inspected.

This is a pretty fluffy and hearty chapter.

Do you think Liam is warming up to Niall, would you?

10+ comments for the next chapter.

-KahliaPayne