Chapter 1: Quiescence

A/N: Dialogue in italics for the first portion of this chapter are meant to be in French. I'll keep them as is for now since I don't want to risk mistranslations, but I'll most likely reach out to someone for help in translating them later on!

"He's so cute."

"No, he threw his toy broomstick at me!"

The Heart household was livelier than it usually was that afternoon in the summer of 1996. The reason? Analeigh's relatives were there, having stayed over for the past couple of days. The Hearts entertained them — Natalie, Hugo, and their parents, Geoffrey and Camille Moreau — to the best of their abilities despite the war brewing steadily in the background. Analeigh hadn't seen her cousins in years, the last time being the Triwizard Tournament for Natalie, who so happened to be her treasure at the Second Task, too. As for Natalie's parents and younger brother, she had last seen them two entire summers ago. So, it was a breath of fresh air for her to finally have them over, especially after the hectic events that took place in her fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry: Dolores Umbridge being their Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor (and later on, High Inquisitor and Headmistress), Harry's visions, the D.A., and the Department of Mysteries fiasco. She was sure there were many more she missed, but she would rather not recount and relive them anymore.

Much to Analeigh's disappointment, the Moreaus were set to leave that day. At the moment, she and Natalie were setting up the table for their last meal there before they were going to return to France. Grace and Camille handled the cooking, while their husbands promised that they would do the dishes afterwards.

"Because you were mean," Hugo was now replying to his sister's words about him throwing his broomstick earlier; Analeigh was still not used to him talking since he was only babbling when she last saw him. He was sitting a few feet away from them on the fuzzy carpet in the living room, playing with a toy Quidditch set complete with players and equipment. The tiny figurines of the players flew back and forth within the set, which Hugo would manipulate by changing their direction so that he could decide which team would win.

"You were being annoying," Natalie retorted. Hugo stuck a tongue out at her, making Analeigh laugh. Even when the boy was being a typical toddler, she still found him cute. She decided against saying it out loud because she knew it would only infuriate Natalie.

"You're smelly!"

"Why, you little —"

"Natalie, be nice!" Camille called out to her daughter from the kitchen.

"But he was —"

The doorbell rang, cutting them off and catching everyone's attention.

"More guests already?" Geoffrey said with a hint of humor. "We haven't even left yet!"

"That's because you're running late," Grace told her brother. "You're supposed to be leaving by now."

While her mother and uncle bickered, Analeigh hurried to the front door, already knowing who would be behind it. She wasn't expecting him until a little later since he was supposed to drop by after the Moreaus had taken their Portkey, but he was always such an early bird. Without bothering to check who it was, Analeigh swung open the door to reveal Cedric Diggory.

"Hi," was the first thing he said, his signature grin plastered on his face. Analeigh felt a smile of her own finding its way to her face from his presence alone.

"Oh, you're here! Come in!" Grace clapped her hands together when she saw who had entered. She had been so charmed by him when he first came over to the house last year — Analeigh could remember how she slammed the door at him in shock, though — and clearly, she still was. "Cedric, this is my brother, Geoffrey, and his family: Camille, Natalie, and Hugo. Everyone, this is Cedric Diggory."