~1~

Melbourne, Australia [2020]

The first race of the season hadn't even happened yet, but I was already the most hated driver on the grid. It wasn't a big deal; everyone knew my name at this point and had heard the rumours around. They also thought I was an asshole, and they were right. I was a total asshole, and everyone in the industry knew it too. And even if they didn't know it, their minds would soon change after the first race.

Hence why I, Matilda Sullivan, wasn't popular in the paddock. No one really cared what I did or what I thought, as long as I stayed away from them. And it always stayed that way, because no matter how much I fucked up, or messed with the wrong people, no one ever took it seriously. But then I got signed by Alpha Tauri and things changed. I needed to change.

It was merely Thursday morning when I got called out of my bed. I groaned, not wanting to get up just yet.

"Get your ass up," my sister said through the door. "I have no time for this shit, and neither do you."

I sighed, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. "What do you want?" I asked her in annoyance.

She scoffed before saying, "I want you to get out of bed, because we have a wonderful day ahead of us."

I rolled my eyes, still half asleep and annoyed at being woken so early in the morning. But nevertheless, I threw on some clothes and opened the door to greet my sister standing in the corridor of the hotel. She wore black flared jeans and a tight crop top, her dark hair fell down in curls and waves over her shoulders. Her eyes were dark brown, and she looked like she hadn't slept in weeks.

"You look like hell," I said with a smirk. She scowled at me.

"Well thank you."

I laughed, shaking my head slightly. "Alright fine. Let's go get food. You're the one who woke me up," I muttered. We walked down the hallway, our feet hitting the floor hard and echoing down the empty hallways.

We went downstairs, to where the dining area was located. Once seated at the table with our food and teacups, I turned to my sister. "Did you really get me out of bed for media day?" I asked her curiously and she nodded.

"Yes, I did, actually. The press conference is today, remember?" Maybe. "Don't fuck up again, ok?" She ordered sternly.

Violet was my oldest sibling, three years older than I was, and for now she took the role of my management on her. For now we hadn't found a professional willing to work with me, so Violet was running the show. It didn't make sense for us to be working together as we didn't agree on most things, but Violet insisted on it.

"Alright, alright, I'll behave," I said exasperatedly, pushing a few strands of my brown hair behind my ear and resting my chin in my palm. Violet rolled her eyes and took a sip of her tea. "Unless-" I began, only to get interrupted.

"No. No unless. This isn't negotiable," she cut me off firmly.

"I'm not sitting there to take everyone's bullshit," I replied, glaring at my sister.

"If you get stubborn now, you can kiss your career goodbye before free practice. I won't let that happen." She warned me. "So please, Matilda. Control yourself for once."

My jaw clenched as I stared into the dark abyss of my cup. After a minute of silence, I replied with gritted teeth. "Fine, I guess I could try... but only because you ask me."

Violet smirked lightly. "Good."

We finished our food quickly and left the hotel, heading to the circuit where the press conference would take place. When we arrived, I noticed plenty of fans waiting outside. Some were waving flags, others held pictures for drivers to sign. I didn't bother to look around much, knowing no one was here for me. Except for myself and my sister.