Chapter 1 - Ortus

In a single moment, the skies tore open. Pillars of light engulfing the land in its fiery blast. People panicked, running away from the vicinity as quickly as they could, but despite their desperation and cries of help, the pillar didn't care as its flame rushed at the fleeing citizens, devouring them whole.

A single moment.

Only a single moment was all it took for the world to break into chaos.

In the aftermath of this event, mass cases of disappearances had swarmed police stations, news outlets and social media. People asking if they have seen any of their loved ones, whether it be children, spouses, siblings or parents; the whole world cried for their family to be returned to them.

But who could help them?

Their leaders? They were just as lost and defeated as their citizens. What about the scientists? They've never encountered such a phenomenon before though, what could they do? Could anyone help?

Simple: no.

Nobody could. Nobody on Earth could fathom the unexpected event, not one soul.

So, with their world recovering from the disaster, only a single question was shared amongst the leftover denizens of Earth.

Where did everyone go?

------------------------------------------

Within the world of Ortus, among the dancing fields, not too far off the grand city, Esteria, was the appropriately named village built on both sides of a running river, Riverbank.

This village was hailed for its bountiful harvest, as well as expert craftsmen of wood art. So it was no surprise to the residents that an abundant amount of the kingdom's people came to them to buy food or decoration.

However one day, the village was visited by two people loitering at the entrance. Checking out who they were, the citizens gasped upon laying their eyes on them.

The two wore clothes that the villagers have never seen before, they were colourful, tight at certain parts and was just all around, odd. They spoke an unknown language, but the two were clearly in a panic, sweat dripping off their faces and gestures that were all over the place.

Though wary, one of the villagers approached the two and attempted to communicate, but their visitors just tilted their heads to the side and blankly stared at the villager.

Others tried to communicate via movement, but even then very little could be conveyed. This lack of communication led to both parties just standing still and staring at each other.

Eventually though, the village head arrived and took hold of the situation. He too tried to communicate in various ways but had as much success as his citizens. Though despite the inability to verbally communicate, the head could tell they were not dangerous.

He turned to the villagers and in a loud voice said, "Do not fret everyone, they mean no harm. They are more lost if anything."

Taking the chief's words to heart the villagers began to disperse, leaving the chief with the two bewildered young adults.

"Alright you two, come." He signalled them to follow him before walking off.

The pair shared a reluctant glance but decided to follow anyways. They were taken inside the village where the two proceeded to look at the surrounding buildings.

Everywhere they looked all they could see were large hut looking houses, made from stone and hay for rooves. There were also some that looked more lavishing, completely made of stone with some wooden windows.