Chapter 4

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

  Irina groaned, the throbbing in her back and the annoying ache in her knee worsening. Still inside the blue automobile, she hissed, straightening her posture more on the roof of the car. She cursed internally. The seatbelt didn't do a damn thing, in her opinion, but it could've been worse if she wasn't wearing it.

  Irene crawled out of the now nonexistent back window, squinting her eyes as she looked around her surroundings. The first thing she noticed is —what she thinks is— a large crowd of people watching the scene unfold.

  She slowly got to her feet, her vision darkening for a few seconds before it returned. "Nat," she called, voice wavering. She stumbled back against the car, dizzy from standing too quickly. "I-I can't see straight."

  The people that surround her spun, their bodies merging into giant blobs of colour. She lifted her hand to her head, wincing. Retracting her hand back, Irina's deep brown eyes widened —blood coated her fingertips.

  "Natasha, no." Yelena's struggled protest brought Irina out of her trance on her fingers. She grunted, crawling out the driver's side nonexistent window with Nat's help. Irina dropped her hand back to her side, looking around once more before she's squeezing her eyes closed, softly moaning in pain from the pounding headache due to the bright lights of the subway station. "I think I'm bleeding. I'm .  .  ."

  "No." Natasha stopped Yelena's actions, "Not now, trust me." She grabbed Yelena's arm and pulled her forward, doing the same to Irene. "Irina," the dark-haired woman opened her eyes, meeting Nat's emerald ones. "We need to move."

  Irina ever so slightly nodded. Natasha released her grip on both Yelena and Irina. People murmured as the three woman sprinted through the large crowds, the wailing of the Hungarian police sirens echoing throughout the station.

  The black specks in Irina's vision grew to the size of blotches, beginning to make up nearly half or more of her vision. She tried ignoring it and the growing pounding in her head with each step she took.

  Coming upon a four-lane escalator, Irina's quick to copy Natasha and Yelena's actions, running up the smooth, dull red tile that connected two of the upward moving escalators. She slid down the tiles in similar fashion to the way she previously did so on the rooftops of the old apartment building.

  Irene glanced back over her shoulder, eyes widening at the sight of the same, armoured blue man that blew her, Natasha and Yelena sky high in the car. Now that he's closer, she could make out blurs of orange here-and-there and tons of shiny metal, due to the way the subway station is lit, almost covering the entirety of his armour in shiny metal because of it.

  Irina snapped her head forward, briefly catching Yelena's eyes before she blinked away the black blotches. Civilians on the escalators screamed in fear. Soon, the red tiles are levelling out and she's sliding off them, tumbling to the concrete floor of the subway.

  As she landed, Irina heard the whooshing of something fly over her head. The momentum she had caused her to nearly land on Yelena again —which would've been awkward— but Irina metaphorically shook her head of the thoughts, not wanting to hurt her head any more than she has to. She glanced up at the metal beam she, Natasha and Yelena landed in front of.

  Like a knife through warm butter, a shield like Steve's easily imbedded itself in the beam.

  "Hey," Yelena called in one, quick airy breath. "Come on."