The beginning.

Ah, so you wish to hear it again, ma chérie? The legend of the Blackthorn forest? Are you certain? It is considered rather frightening you know. Ah, very well, do not make such a face ma chérie, it will give you wrinkles.

Everyone who lived in the kingdom of Aishfeld avoided the massive forest that boxed it in on one side. No sunlight ever managed to get past the thick, unforgiving canopy, and if it did, it was only ever in shades of red and yellow, due to the thick layers of magic that permeated the mysterious wood. The trees were all as thick as a mans torso, and twisted into impossible, terrifying shapes. The few paths that were visible were littered with snake nests and thorn vines so sharp they could cut straight to the bone, or so the stories went. The only animals that lived in the forest were demonic, and ate only the flesh of others. And, in the very center of this twisted, horrible forest, was a manor. Perhaps it had once been a thing of beauty and elegance, but now, like the rest of its surroundings, it was dark and twisted, filled with an ominous presence that would freeze even the bravest man in his tracks.

In this manor lived a powerful wizard, although some considered him more a prince of hell than wizard. He was rumored to be a Fae prince cast from his court after a power struggle, although these claims were never truly founded on anything other than terror and superstition. He was beautiful, with hair like the deepest night sky, black, with hints of inky blue shining through, and eyes as steely and sharp as a newly forged sword. His face would've caused the most talented artists to weep in frustration, for it was so perfect it was impossible. And currently, he was carefully fitting a heart made of diamond into the open chest cavity of his latest creation. The heart held a still living rose within its crystalline confines, and seemed to pulse, as if filled with blood, just as a real heart would-

Ah, I'm sorry, ma chérie, I forgot how you dislike this part of the story. I suppose it is a bit graphic, no? And I know you much prefer the later parts of this story compared to the beginning, but the beginning is so crucial, wouldn't you say? They say it is easier to start a story than finish it, but with this particular story, I believe it is so much easier to finish it than begin. After all, everyone knows how this story ends...

Or do they?