Chapter 2: Malbeasts

He ran.

Natsuki Subaru ran as he desperately tried to avoid this infernal beast that was chasing him down.

With tears pouring down his eyes, he thought, -WHAT IS THIS THING I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE.-As he thought this he looked back for a second and saw the beast gaining on him. It was now nothing more than 10 meters between him and whatever was chasing him.

As he was running he remembered his father saying something about using trees to put something in between him and a predator. He did not remember what specific animal he was talking about, but he hoped it applied to this situation as well.

He did just that.

Subaru dashed behind a tree trying to confuse the creature and to put something in between them. It worked for a moment as it ran a few feet more than it meant to before giving a turn and going back to attack Subaru.

Before it had even begun to turn around, once again he ran around behind another tree trying to get the beast off him or make it crash against the tree itself. He changed directions so that it can't dash directly at him once it avoids the tree. This way there was always something in between them making it harder to get Subaru.

This continued for a few minutes and while it seemed to be working somehow Subaru was getting tired and was having many close calls. He knew that it was a matter of time before he ran out of stamina and then he would be killed by the creature in front of him.

Running to an open space Subaru took off his tracksuit and rolled it around his arm. He broke a branch from the tree he was standing next to. The branch was sharp at the edge and around and he figured he could use it as a weapon to fight back with. He knew he could not outrun it and was getting tired so he wouldn't last long. That meant he had no choice but to kill it if he wanted to survive.

The beast suddenly stopped and stood there watching Subaru almost as if it was being wary of him.

"I need to calm down," Subaru said in a whisper to himself but that was easier said than done. He was terrified and the adrenaline was the only thing that kept him thinking straight. knowing that it could attack at any moment he prepared himself as best as he could, taking a small step back so that his left foot stopped him from falling once it charged. As he was thinking this he thought he heard a voice talking to him from behind but was too terrified and focused on living to pay attention to it thinking he was just hearing things because he was scared.

After a few seconds of waiting it seemed like the beast got tired of it and dashed straight at him.

Subaru only had a few seconds to put his arm in front of him to use a shield against its bite. Managing to do it in time he felt the teeth trying to tear through his flesh but was stopped thanks to the tracksuit he was using to block it. He knew this was his chance to attack so with a shaky grip of the stick he was using as a weapon he stabbed the monster through its eye.

???: AHGGGGGGGGG

Subaru hearing the screams of pain used that chance to stab it again in its chest while it was distracted by the pain of the wound. He knew it was a risky maneuver but he also knew it was likely his only chance to finish it off.

The brach went through the beast with some difficulty but pierce through in the end without snapping. He was finally able to step away from it a few feet as he saw it shaking and roaring in pain on the ground. After a few more seconds of struggle, it finally stopped moving, laying there on the ground dead.

Subaru just stood there for a few seconds not bothering to move from the spot he was standing on.

"What was that," he said out loud to no one as he fell on the ground exhausted and in shock. After putting so much effort to survive the attack he was left exhausted; it was probably the most he'd been in his entire life. He lay there for a few moments trying to regain his focus but all he could think of -was what was that?- He could have sworn he heard a voice calling him but was too focused on that question.