21 | threatening strangers

I already know before I'm even setting foot on Patridge land, that they're throwing a party. The keys dig into my hands as I walk up the driveway.

What on earth could they possibly be celebrating all the time? Trial is less than two weeks away now and instead of focusing on that, the house is filled with over-the-top Soundcloud rap music and beer cans that litter the floor.

I shut the door behind me as I enter, standing against it for a second. Getting my bearings, I walk quickly towards Sofía's room.

Before I get the chance, Xavier is calling my name and pulling me into the living room. For the second time today I'm being dragged against my will into this room.

My eyes immediately go to the armchair where Casey had sat earlier, his eye bruised again. He's no longer there; a women smoking a bong and wearing a small bandana for a top, looks at me lazily. I turn away.

The room is full of a line of smoke, wafting through the air. I move my hand through it, whacking it away from me. When it gets clearer, I realise that there is at least ten people in this room. Marco sits on the couch, a pretty blonde women straddles his lap as they talk in between kisses.

"I'm tired, Xavier," I shout, trying to be heard over the music. "I just want to sleep."

"How was work?" he asks, grinning at me. I can tell he's high. His dark pupils are huge as he stares at me strangely.

"Busy," I state, beginning to step away from him. He grabs my hand, linking our fingers as he pulls me around in a twirl before hugging me to his shoulder.

"Let's talk," he says, twirling a strand of my hair. I nudge him back, folding my arms over my chest.

"I'll talk to you when you're not incapacitated," I deadpan, beginning to walk away from him.

He doesn't stop me this time, just pouts. I roll my eyes, holding my bag tightly over my shoulder as I quickly make my exit towards Sof's room.

"Do your brother's have a habit of throwing— oh my god!" I slam her door shut, squeezing my eyes closed from the image that I've just received.

"Sorry!" Sof calls through the door. "Didn't know you were coming home yet!"

Sofía and a man entwined on her bed is now something that will be branded into my brain for eternity.

"It's— ah, no worries," I shout back. "Should have knocked!"

I stride into the kitchen, grimacing as I rub my forehead. An oncoming headache is forming.

I lean against the sink, my eyes focusing on the window as I watch the darkness. Nothing is visible, except for a far off street lamp. The pounding in my skull worsens.

A door swings open behind me, revealing Casey. He brightens when he sees me, striding over. "I'll save you," he says, grabbing my hand as he pulls me away.

He shuts the door to his room and I sigh, leaning back against his door. The music is less intense in here and I welcome it.

Casey flops down onto his bed. He reaches for a small tennis ball on his nightstand, throwing it up and catching it before repeating. "They don't let me out there very often," he admits. "Not that I'm even interested in half the shit they do."

"Good," I say, sitting on the edge of his bed. "I didn't see Brax out there. Is he not..."

Casey catches the ball, raising an eyebrow at me. "Oh," I croak, realising where he must be.