CHAPTER - 2

By the time I had made my way back to the fifth floor Lena already knew I was leaving.

"Tight as thieves you two." Master had already informed her.

"Anyone with half a brain would have guessed looking at all the files and your cheery self." She shot back sourly.

"Yeah well. I am out of your hair. So that's one less problem. Try not to miss me too much."

"Its not me I am worried about." As she said that her face had became almost sad. Or as sad as she could be.

I sighed. Kids. "If you want to get master's attention you should drop the pretense and approach him already. He maybe smart but he is clueless when it comes to women"

"Not all women"

Yes. But Penny was an exception. They had been friends since childhood. It was just natural for him to fall for her.

"Just approach him Lena. He thinks he doesn't deserve affection from anyone let alone an attractive woman half his age."

"What makes you think you can tell me what to do. Go away to wherever you want." She said that with venom but her ears were red. I smiled. So predictable.

She looked up when I didn't say anything for a while. Most probably expecting me to retort and bicker like we always do. But today I didn't feel like it.

She said with a serious face, "You are not coming back." She wasn't asking she was stating.

"No I am not"

"Breck would be heartbroken. He really did enjoy your company." her face showed she wasn't happy with the thought.

Like hell he did. He enjoyed being around me because he got to talk about Penny as much as he wanted. I was the last link that remained of her.

"This might be your chance. Console and grab him"

She made an obscene gesture with her hands surreptitiously. Nobody could see Miss perfect stooping down to such vulgar things.

I laughed. I had been wrong. Maybe someone might miss me when I left, even if grudgingly. They would have a couple drinks and laugh about a guy that they used to know. That thought brought me no comfort. The world should forget me already. I couldn't- wouldn't leave more gaping wounds. Penny was going to be the last of them. These people should be together. Forget about me. Live long lives. Be happy.

I turned around. I refused to be gloomy today.

"Take care of Master, Lena."

"You don't have to ask me"

I smiled. Yeah that jerk was really really lucky and he wasn't even aware of it.

I walked back to my house. I wondered if Master's branch offices across the country would assist me if I was to get stuck, which I undoubtedly would. He wouldn't say no. But really I had caused him enough problems as it was, asking him to make up excuses for me anymore just didn't sit right.

I should just make a clean exit. Never see the again. It would be better that way for everyone.

I looked back again at the red brick building one last time. I doubted I would ever see it again despite of what I had told Master. There was a reason I had to leave and no matter how much time passed I wouldn't be able to get over it. What was this feeling of nostalgia washing over me as I looked at the building I had hated for years? I huffed in annoyance. Master and Penny's sentiments were rubbing on me. Disgusting.