Chapter 3 - Safeguarding

Jeong Hyeok went to his office after his meeting with Se Ri; he had not originally intended to back to the office but he wanted to read her report, and it was still on his desk. He picked up the phone and dialled Henry's number. After three rings the call connected, "Are you busy Henry?"

"Yeah but I will talk to you – how are things on the battle lines with Ms Yoon?"

"Well, I confronted her about her report to Quantico before I read it. That argument was intense and then in the afternoon, I drew down on her. So it has been a tad rocky."

"Drew down on her, please tell me you don't actually mean you had a gun on her face."

"No, not a euphemism; I was at the firing range, she tapped me on the shoulder, and I acted instinctively."

"Jesus Jeong Hyeok and the holy saints! Do you know how much trouble you could be in if she files a report on you? Man, you need to end this feud with her, and you need to do it now!"

"We have talked Henry, and the air is cleared. She understands that walking on to the firing range and sneaking up behind someone is going to end with her getting shot. The only reason I didn't fire when I turned around is that the clip was empty."

"So you two kissed and made up?"

"Oh, for fuck's sake! No! We didn't kiss. Will you get that thought out of your mind? I am not going to kiss her or sleep with her. I will tell you, though, she is damaged and beautiful."

"See, you have picked up on the two things that are your biggest weakness, beautiful but damaged women! You are going to end up being Captain Save-The-Day when this is all said and done."

Jeong Hyeok began to laugh, "Captain Save-The-Day, Henry? Okay, that is a new one, but I do like being the hero. But I am not trying to be her hero; I did listen to what she had to say about her report, and I am getting ready to read it. I am going to open myself up the chance that she might have some ideas."

"Well, that is an improvement over what you were saying the last time we talked. Maybe if you collaborate with her, she will finish up her work and leave sooner, then your problems are solved."

"Well, I am not sure about collaboration, but I am going to turn on the charm."

"Good luck with that and keep me posted."

Jeong Hyeok disconnected the call and propped his boots up on his desk and opened Se Ri's report. Two paragraphs in and he realized he had indeed underestimated her.

***

Se Ri was restless; the confrontation and subsequent conversation with Jeong Hyeok had taken their toll on her. Unfortunately, sleep would not come to her. She began pacing in her barracks and realized it was not helping her at all. The camp was quiet; everyone was turned in except the men on patrol. She decided to head over to her workspace and, at least, try to do something productive.

She changed into a long sleeve shirt; the heat of the day had given way to cooler temperatures in the evening. She quietly exited her barracks and began making her way across the camp. Walking alone at night didn't bother her; she knew she should be guarded and in some sense scared, but she never let it consume her. She was just at the door of her workspace when she heard what sounded like hushed voices. She looked around carefully and figured it was just her imagination and gave it no further thought.

Se Ri began working on the stack of reports and maps that were in front of her. She wanted to get through as much of the data as she could; knowing that if she stayed focused on the tasks ahead, she might be able to get out of the camp ahead of schedule. She felt her eyes begin to get heavy but did not willingly give in to the sleep that was coming over her.