Chapter 5 - When I fall, no one catch me

Lunch on Saturday wasn't too bad. Of course, Veronica had sent him another outfit, knowing they'd be photographed. And, also of course, it was well fitted, attractive, and extremely bland. He'd understood for the event last night, but it seemed overkill for a casual lunch. She'd been trying to adjust his taste - in more ways than one - for years now, and he wondered if she'd ever just give up and leave him to his skinny jeans and graphic tees.

They were seated on a terrace, with easy access for the paparazzi to 'incidentally' spot them in a highly organized and pre-arranged way. They weren't even the only famous faces, but most of the flashes seemed to be in their direction, and Kirsten knew exactly when to turn and pause, and gently guided Cas with whispered words and slight nudges.

Between the fake posing, though, he was finding her an engaging lunch partner. She was funny, and a little shocking, and hadn't pressured him once for information. Though he still didn't trust that she wasn't deep in Veronica's pocket - she'd been open about being in it for herself, and Penny had reminded him again before he'd left the house - he was actually having fun.

It was brought to an icy end when a man with a camera came right up to the fence that protected the terrace from the sidewalk, pushing the lens almost into Cas' face.

"Give me a statement," he said, like he was owed it.

Cas ignored him, trying to continue the conversation with Kirsten, but the man clicked anyway, pushing his camera forward, meaning Cas had to shift away.

"He's trying to get you to react," Kirsten said lowly, taking his hands.

He was grateful. He wasn't a violent person, but this guy must have got punched a lot. It wasn't that, though, he thought, as the man was herded away by someone else's security team. He hated this side of it, and he was aware he hadn't even suffered under the 'famous' mantle before. The attention he'd had had always been positive. But this clamor caused by his supposed relationship felt like barbed wire across his flesh. He hated it. The falsity, the cruelty. But the attention was exactly what Veronica wanted.

* * * *

"Beer?" Penny asked, handing the bottle over without waiting for an answer.

It was the third, and probably not the best idea while they lounged by the pool. He'd been relieved when Kirsten had seemed to believe he was fine but just wanted to relax, so let him drop her off without questions. He might like Kirsten well enough, but Penny was still a more straightforward proposition.

She was a terrible influence though, and he loved it. Even if she was a poor second to Ben, who he still hadn't heard from.

"Look at this," she giggled, shoving her phone under his nose.

It was some entertainment site, but it was a picture of him from far too close, looking annoyed. There were some more pictures from lunch too - better ones, from a distance - and the article was destroying the rude photographer. And also making a big deal about how sweet he and Kirsten were together, holding hands and looking 'enamored with each other over fresh seared salmon'.

He scoffed, handing the phone back.

"At least they love you," Penny reasoned.

"Sure. For now. And I'd prefer if the attention was for something real."

He grimaced, taking a swig of his drink. He was lying to them, only by omission so far, but their reaction when they found out would be unpredictable. Rather than the studios or the fans, it could be the media that crushed him. If they discovered the truth, where would they land?