eleven. sports

The imposing chain-link fences of the junkyard made (Y/N) hesitant to enter, so she peered around the half-opened gate to look inside and ensure she was in the right place. She found Hanma almost immediately, him being the tallest figure in the open space, but he was talking to a couple other boys. And if that wasn't slightly intimidating, there were numerous other middle schoolers just hanging around, smoking, talking, or even fighting. Out of habit at the number of people and the reflective metals that were just waiting for her to catch sight of herself in, she pulled her facemask up and over her nose. 

(Y/N) had half a mind to turn around and leave, deciding there were too many people, but before she could leave, Hanma spotted her and called out, "I've got some information for you, Miss. Blackmail."

She scowled at the nickname, all feelings of flight leaving her as she stomped over to him. With an annoyed glare, she looked up at him and said, "I told you not to call me that."

"Everyone here already knows," he reassured with one of his obnoxious grins. "There's a big brawl coming up and I thought you would like to get an inside scoop from Valhalla."

As Hanma started talking to her, he acted like the two teens he had been talking with weren't even there in the first place. His whole focus was on her, and although it was slightly endearing, she already knew about most of what he was saying. Plus, one of the boys looked as though he was about to throw a punch for no reason other than the fact that he was bored. The other one, with dyed hair partially resembling the future Hanma, was looking up at the clouds and probably hadn't been listening to the conversation in the first place. 

In an attempt to stop long-hair from punching anyone, (Y/N) reached into her backpack, bringing out her Valhalla journal. It was one of the few she carried around with her, considering most people reached out for the information that was within it. She held it out for Hanma to take, telling him, "You can check over what I already have written down." Then after ensuring long-hair and ditzy were looking away, leaned closer to him and whispered, "Your friends look bored. Are you sure you should just be ignoring them?"

"They're not my friends," Hanma said, his smile dropping for a moment before returning as he tugged her mask down. "Hello again."

"Stop doing that," (Y/N) hissed, pulling her mask back up. "What if I really was sick?"

He smirked, one that promised an annoying response. "Then we can be sick together."

"You better not be implying what I think you're implying," she said, unamused. His response was to lean down closer to her face, to which she pushed him away, ignoring the stupid pounding of her heart. 

Content with his teasing for the day, Hanma turned back to the two waiting teens and waved them back over. "Baji, Kazutora, come introduce yourself to (Y/N)-chan."

At the sound of familiar names, she sent Hanma a look that told him she had blackmail on these people and he just shrugged his shoulders like there was nothing he could do about that. It was strange for her to know that she knew more about Baji and Kazutora than they would ever know about her, but she pushed that thought away in order to formally introduce herself.

"I'm (Y/N) (L/N), it's a pleasure to meet you know," she said, smiling politely at them. They, of course, couldn't see her smile, but that soon changed as Hanma reached over and took her mask off all the way, holding it above his head so she couldn't get it back. "Excuse me for one second - Hanma if you don't give that back..."

"What are you going to do?" He grinned like this was the exact reaction he had been awaiting.

"I'll ignore you," she said in a deadpan, then turned back to the others, "Sorry about that, Baji-san and Kazutora-san, was it?"

They just stared at her for a second, then looked at Hanma and back at her. Finally, Baji cleared his throat and said, "So you're more than friends?"

"I've never seen more obvious flirting," Kazutora commented without missing a beat. 

"We're not flirting, we're just acquaintances." (Y/N) clarified, ignoring Hanma's playfully hurt whine of, "Not even friends?"

Neither of them believed her in the slightest, but they didn't say anything else on the matter. Instead, Baji took the lead and explained to her that whenever she was around, Kazutora and him would be looking out for her. Essentially, they were her bodyguards, and although it was clearly the idea of Valhalla's leader, they didn't seem to mind. The sentiment was greatly appreciated, since they were good physical fighters that could protect her if words weren't enough and Hanma wasn't around.

Then, after all the necessary talk was over, Baji asked, "Are you going to be around for the brawl against Toman?"

"I'd rather stay out of major gang conflicts," (Y/N) admitted, "I like pulling the strings behind the scenes. Hence why I'm an info broker and not a brawler."

"It'll be interesting to see what someone like you is up to in ten years," Baji said like it was nothing. 

Speaking of ten years, she remembered what her future looked like the last time she returned her time. A husband she hadn't had before and a home that was unfamiliar. Although she hadn't completely hated it, and if she had to be honest - it was kind of nice, such a surprising change in fate was difficult to wrap her head around without having lived it herself. 

"That reminds me," she turned to Hanma with her hands on her hips, "Whatever you do, do not marry me or anything of the sort. No dates, no weddings, and absolutely nothing more than what we already have."

A strange pang reverberated in her chest as she spoke, making her question her own words. Although he kept that stupidly handsome grin on his face as he looked at her, she wondered if her words hurt him as much as they hurt her to say them. Guilt rose up in her as she realized the normal future she wanted to return to wasn't worth it if she ended up causing him pain. She opened her mouth to apologize, a soft expression on her face, but she wasn't able to get the words out. 

Before she knew what was happening, there was a shout of warning and then a flying soccer ball hit her in the side of the head, knocking her out upon impact.  

...

(y/n): if I'm knocked out one more time --

some random teen with a soccer ball: ;)