Chapter 11

It had been a long 5 days

It had been a long 5 days. Between traveling by foot and constantly looking over her shoulder, Calypso was more exhausted than she had been in a long time.
The teen was hesitant on booking motels considering she was a minor who ran away. There was no telling if her face was plastered on the news back home.
No. That place wasn't her home. Harlow was. And now she's gone.
Calypso tried her hardest to stay out of the view of cameras. She didn't want anyone to be given any hints as to where she was or where she was headed to.
Money was slowly but surely running low. She started with about $160, but she was currently down to $65. The teen had to buy more clothes and cheap (but edible) food.
But eventually, she made it. She made it to New York. At first, it didn't feel right. All the people and all of the liveliness was something she wasn't used to. But most of all, Harlow wasn't there. They promised they would escape to New York together one day, but now it was impossible.
Calypso held on to that 65 dollars as long as she possibly could, however that money was quickly dwindling and there was only so much you could get in a NY gas station with ten dollars. With that problem overcoming her mind, she decided to put her 'hobby' to good use.
With her quick hands, she was taking wallets and watches; anything she could use or trade for money. She only took from the people who seemed like straight up assholes or looked to be well off and wouldn't miss a couple of bucks.
After about two months of arriving in NY, the teen found a place where she could relax. It was the shaded area under a tree that was close to a little park. She honestly didn't know how she found it. But she was glad she did.
In that spot, she would reflect on everything that happened. Calypso, a minor, had practically traveled across the country, her best friend died and her foster mother was straight up weird. Well, ex-foster mother.
What a life she's living.
-
Calypso had lost count of the time she had been in New York. The days blended together and were just blurs of events.
The teen was sitting in her spot underneath the tree, trying to relax even though she knew that wouldn't be happening.
As she scanned the park and watched the people, her eyes caught a familiar face. Doing a double take, she squinted her eyes, wondering if her brain or eyes were just playing tricks on her.
Ilora.
Ilora was there, in all her glory, wandering around the park.
Calypso stood quickly and gathered her things, still momentarily glancing back. When she stood straight, looking for the woman again, she was no longer there.
Her breathing picked up as her head whipped around in every direction. Eventually she found her. But Ilora was closer this time.
The teen didn't have time to think. She just ran.
She ran out of the park and onto the busy sidewalks. She just kept running and she didn't stop until she found somewhere safe she could rest.
It had been about ten minutes and the girl had gradually slowed her pace to a light jog. She leaned back against a brick wall, attempting to catch her breath.
Things just got more complicated.