Ava's Avocado

It was another day in the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. Everything was going smoothly—or so everyone thought.

It was mid day and one of the workers had left their lunch in an unsealed paper bag in the break room. This being before the days of widespread commercial pesticide use, a swarm of fungus gnats had begun to investigate the unattended avocado lunch.

And of course, where there was prey, a predator was sure to appear. And here came Ava, the Chernobyl facility's largest spider. She ran this joint as the biggest, toughest, meanest spider around. If there was a swarm of gnats about or a cluster of roaches nearby, Ava didn't even have to put up a fight to claim them as hers. Her presence alone was enough to threaten any creeping crawler.

That was any creeping crawler except for Dipper. You see, Dipper was a young fella, not quite young enough to be threatened by Ava's size and not quite old enough to be aware of his weaknesses. He was young and reckless, his boldness being both his biggest strength, or when it came to this very day, his biggest weakness.

Dipper was feeling hungrier than normal and a big swarm of unsuspecting gnats was a temptation too great to ignore, even if it meant going head to head with Ava.

Dipper didn't quite get it. Ava was just a spider like everyone else—well everyone who was a spider that is. So he went forth. He had just as much right to those gnats as she did.

Ava saw him advancing on the gnats. While she has the advantage of size and strength, the slender juvenile had the advantage of speed. Dipper got to the lunch bag and gnat swarm seconds before Ava. And seconds are a rather long time when your average life expectancy is barely a year.

Ava was livid! She had been beat by Dipper who was practically still a child.
This wasn't going to be the end of it. She got to the gnats, snagging a few on her way to Dipper who didn't even back down. She reached out a leg, shoving him, while the other seven grasped the bag. Dipper fought back, but it didn't last long. Ava made sure to put him in his place.

But with all the commotion, the gnats were well aware of their presence. Their little turf war had scared them all away. Ava was more than irritated, but she wouldn't give up. Maybe there was something good in the bag that had all the gnats swarming, and if she was lucky, some of the gnats had made their way inside.

Ava crawled into the bag and made her way to the handful of gnats on an avocado slice. But then, a slow leak of radioactive energy began leaking into her atmosphere. Something was happening. She felt dizzy and sick. Ava collapsed onto the avocado along with the few gnats who remained near the lunch bag. The dizziness overcame her and she closed her eight eyes and felt as if she was sinking into the flesh of the avocado.

When she finally came to, her body felt awkward and larger than usual she clumsily made her way out of the lunch bag, not quite sure what all had happened, but the building she called her home was in ruins. A water pipe had burst during the disaster and she went to grab a drink to cool off.

When she saw herself in the reflection of the water, Ava was shocked. She had merged with this strange food! But she heard a familiar buzzing near her new body. A fly was attracted to her new smell! She say incredibly still and waited. Then she pounced! This new body wasn't half bad. And she was almost certain Dipper would never challenge her again.